• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car crash...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car crash...

I was the front seat passenger in this, July 1985, Austin Princess, V reg...

That's shocking! Contractors should never be seen in a piece of tulip like that.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      I was the front seat passenger in this, July 1985, Austin Princess, V reg...

It's a little bit blurry, but is your surname Wilmsow, Bill?

Comment

Why is the car in faded black and white while the wall behind it's covered in multicoloured graffiti?

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          It's a little bit blurry, but is your surname Wilmsow, Bill?
          Nope - mines further down! 'A Second Passenger...'. All I had was a scratch on my arm and huge chunk missing from my leg where I'd bent the auto gear lever over 90% (yes, an Austin Princess automatic! 2.2 tho...). Had a cracking scab on it, a few days later I couldn't resist, picked it off and it revealed said hole, no blood at all. Bit disappointing. I didn't even get to stay in hospital they just sent me home to pick the glass out of my hair.

Driver was tonking it down the road, I remember me and Bill going all quiet - we got round the 30mph bend but not the following 40mph, no idea what speed but we were going down the hill at 80mph at least, witnesses said car flipped over three times. I remember nothing of that, just woke up upside down suspended from the seat belt but at the same time compressed in a ball by the flattened roof. I remember thinking 'Better try and get out', and thinking 'Well, how, exactly'. Then some woman arrived and screamed 'GET OUT QUICK IT'S ON FIRE' so I got out quick!. It wasn't on fire, just the steam from the busted cooling system...

Got a £15 bill for the Ambulance too....

And I wasn't a contractor at the time, I was a Cost and Management Accountant. Let that be a lesson to you all...

Comment

Nope - mines further down! 'A Second Passenger...'. All I had was a scratch on my arm and huge chunk missing from my leg where I'd bent the auto gear lever over 90% (yes, an Austin Princess automatic! 2.2 tho...). Had a cracking scab on it, a few days later I couldn't resist, picked it off and it revealed said hole, no blood at all. Bit disappointing. I didn't even get to stay in hospital they just sent me home to pick the glass out of my hair.

Driver was tonking it down the road, I remember me and Bill going all quiet - we got round the 30mph bend but not the following 40mph, no idea what speed but we were going down the hill at 80mph at least, witnesses said car flipped over three times. I remember nothing of that, just woke up upside down suspended from the seat belt but at the same time compressed in a ball by the flattened roof. I remember thinking 'Better try and get out', and thinking 'Well, how, exactly'. Then some woman arrived and screamed 'GET OUT QUICK IT'S ON FIRE' so I got out quick!. It wasn't on fire, just the steam from the busted cooling system...

Got a £15 bill for the Ambulance too....

And I wasn't a contractor at the time, I was a Cost and Management Accountant. Let that be a lesson to you all...
            I was about to dispute the bit about an Austin Princess going 80mph and then realised it was downhill.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Why is the car in faded black and white while the wall behind it's covered in multicoloured graffiti?
              I knew someone would ask that!

Clipping is from Bolton Evening News 7th July 1985, so it's a bit old, and I tried to flatten it to take a decent pic, ended up my son holding it against his chest, under the halogens in the living room, hence the dodgy teeshirt in the background.

Can you tell I've been tidying the office while benched!?

Comment

What a mess, even the seat has detached. It reminds me why I had a SAAB in the 80s
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  What a mess, even the seat has detached. It reminds me why I had a SAAB in the 80s
                  Driver got the worst of it, car while upside down embedded itself into a lamp post just about at the front door hinges, as you can see really. His leg was snapped clean just below the pelvic joint and he lost his kidney on that side too.

I pulled him out with the aid of some others and he was in a fair bit of pain I can tell you. Meant I completely for got about my mate in the back, my best mate actually, I remember shouting 'Shiit, what about Bill?!!' - Dragged him out (there was still this feeling that the car was on fire though it wasn't) and he'd done his neck in, couldn't walk, back seat, no seat belts...

I was right as rain, someone was smiling on me that day.

After the hospital etc, me and Bill were confined to barracks due to lack of his mobility, so we watched Live Aid (Think it was the 8th July 1985) from beginning to end, and that event still has a powerful hold over me - I'd probably have never bothered if fit!

Comment

Driver got the worst of it, car while upside down embedded itself into a lamp post just about at the front door hinges, as you can see really. His leg was snapped clean just below the pelvic joint and he lost his kidney on that side too.

I pulled him out with the aid of some others and he was in a fair bit of pain I can tell you. Meant I completely for got about my mate in the back, my best mate actually, I remember shouting 'Shiit, what about Bill?!!' - Dragged him out (there was still this feeling that the car was on fire though it wasn't) and he'd done his neck in, couldn't walk, back seat, no seat belts...

I was right as rain, someone was smiling on me that day.

After the hospital etc, me and Bill were confined to barracks due to lack of his mobility, so we watched Live Aid (Think it was the 8th July 1985) from beginning to end, and that event still has a powerful hold over me - I'd probably have never bothered if fit!
                    Googled, Live Aid was 13th July, week after - makes sense - week in hospital....

Comment

Working...
                    X