• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

First Gig, Is this normal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Gig, Is this normal

Signed up for my first Gig. Start on the first of the month.

I am going through Hays and they seem to have their process down pat.

I was asked to sign a form to say if I opted in or out of a piece of legislation (I assume IR35?). Agent mentioned "most people say Opt out"

I was given a list of Umbrellas I could choose from (I think this can happen with some of the bigger firms) I choose to go Umbrella first.

I was also told that I won't see the contract it will go straight to the umbrella and they will deal with it between the Agent and Umbrella co.

All of this could well be normal and I could be fretting over nothing? Hays is a massive outfit and I can't believe they would do anything dodgey?
    Last edited by Tasslehoff; 16 August 2013, 20:56.

Originally posted by Tasslehoff View Post

I was asked to sign a form to say if I opted in or out of a piece of legislation (I assume IR35?). Agent mentioned "most people say Opt out"

I was given a list of Umbrellas I could choose from (I think this can happen with some of the bigger firms) I choose to go Umbrella first.

I was also told that I won't see the contract it will go straight to the umbrella and they will deal with it between the Agent and Umbrella co.

All of this could well be normal and I could be fretting over nothing? Hays is a massive outfit and I can't believe they would do anything dodgey?
    You've opt of agency regulations which mean they don't need to pay you if they don't get paid.

Umbrella will deal with your contract but you really want to see what they are signing you up for.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      You've opt of agency regulations which mean they don't need to pay you if they don't get paid.

Umbrella will deal with your contract but you really want to see what they are signing you up for.
      Thanks, I did ask could I see a copy of the contract which the Agent was fine with.

Comment

You need to do some research.

Hays are big and you are an inexperienced newbie when to comes to contracting, so you have no idea what should and shouldn't be happening. If you're lucky you'll get a decent agent who will hold your hand through the process and help you out. If you not, you won't.

The opt out is for the Agency Conduct Regulations. If you've already met the client then you can't opt out anyway. There are arguments either way for opting in or out. Agencies like you to opt out as it make their lives easier. Go and read this https://www.pcg.org.uk/agency-regulations

EDIT: AFAIR the Agency Regs don't apply if you are working through a brolly anyway.

Just because they give you a list of umbrellas you are not obliged to use one of them. If you want to go down the umbrella route you can choose your own, the agent may grumble , but ultimately there is not a lot they can do about it. Do some research on the ones on offer before you decide which one to use or whether to find your own and go and read this : http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...fraid-ask.html

If you go through a brolly then you are an employee of that brolly and the contract is between the agency and your umbrella co. You should still have an agreement with the umbrella co. regarding payment, terms and conditions etc.

Hays are a massive outfit, that does not mean individuals within their organisation will not screw up or try and pull a fast one to get some extra commission. All those brolly's on the list you were given will more than likely pay commission to the agent when you sign up with them for example.
        Last edited by DaveB; 16 August 2013, 21:34.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If you are going via a brolly, you are inside IR35 - i.e. you take all your money as PAYE (with employers and employees NI as well as tax) less expenses.

Sounds like you should read up on the basics - check out the first timers guides -->

Comment

Thanks all.

I have done some reading but clearly not enough. I will hit the first timers guides again.

Comment

Well done on getting your first gig!
              sasguru says:
              Yes but you are quite limited after all
              Answers on a postcard please!

Comment

I still find it incredible how people can sign a contract for work without knowing the absolute basics of how they are paid and their situation. Disgraceful.

Who was it that started the thread about laughing at agents because they didn't know this and I commented on what is more scary is the contractors that don't.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks all.

I have done some reading but clearly not enough. I will hit the first timers guides again.
                  Good idea.

Originally posted by ExPermie View Post
                  Well done on getting your first gig!
                  WEPS. First gig!! Well done.

Comment

Well done getting your first gig

PS Don't mind NLUK. He does that to everyone. I'm sure he is kind to animals.

Comment

Working...
                    X