• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Permie antics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permie antics

Had a friend(yes it's true) drop me a line to ask advice.

He'd been made redundant last year and took a good six months to get work. He was looking at contracting and I have him a little work before he eventually took a new perm role.

That was about 6 months ago. About 3 months ago he asked for time off and booked a week away with the kids to Disney. He expects to go away in October. The project he manages has slipped a few times and the go live falls on this week. His bosses boss told him he must cancel his holiday.

I've given my advice. What's yours?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

He has time off booked with employer so should take it. Unless they offer to pay him the cost of his holiday(then his wife could take the kids for free).

The project will probably slip again anyway.

His problem is that after April 2012 you have to be employed 2 years to claim unfair dismissal.

But I feel for him. Being your friend that is.

Comment

If he booked a holiday in may for October and the company wants to cancel it now then they are totally crap.

as a permie he is entitled to 28 days paid leave. Asking for 1 particular week with 6 months notice is hardly going to jeopese the project.

However the actual law is at https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights but I've not gone into detail to see if it covers this circumstance
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        If he booked a holiday in may for October and the company wants to cancel it now then they are totally crap.

as a permie he is entitled to 28 days paid leave. Asking for 1 particular week with 6 months notice is hardly going to jeopese the project.

However the actual law is at https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights but I've not gone into detail to see if it covers this circumstance
        I told him to tell them to take a running jump, but as he'd been out of work for a while earlier he was nervous to do so and so has cancelled it, telling the kids Disneyland aint happening.

I agree, that's the type of permie power play bollocks that makes me angry.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I told him to tell them to take a running jump, but as he'd been out of work for a while earlier he was nervous to do so and so has cancelled it, telling the kids Disneyland aint happening.

I agree, that's the type of permie power play bollocks that makes me angry.
          Problem is that's it legal but what it actually shows is that some there is on a power trip and doesn't like him.

He really needs to find another job because that one ain't going to go anywhere and will only make him unhappy eventually.

Personally I would have kept the holiday and gone sick with stress 2-3 days before hand.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It is total crap but he did the right thing, hopefully he got compensated.

The best thing would be find another job, because it shows they're in a bit of a mess and their planning is up the creek. I remember having training at one co "holidays do happen, so plan them in". I mean you should plan 2 days a month for holiday, and if you delay the project 6 months with a block on holiday then the project team disappear for 4 days a month!

I bet he's working for a software supplier, where that sort of thing I dare say is more common, i.e. putting a block on holiday. I remember working for a software supplier, most of the time it was fine but we did one project with penalties on late delivery, that was a situation where getting holiday booked was difficult, though they did honour the holiday that was approved.

At the company I work at at the moment (internet co), the company actually runs the software it develops so deadlines are set around booked holiday, not the other way round, and if a project gets into trouble they allocate someone from another team help out. I can't imagine them blocking holiday, and the same in all the banks I've worked in.

yep...so find a new job, if they don't deliver in October having blocked everyone's holiday a) team members will resign b) they' ll be forced to approve holiday and they get into a bigger mess.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 17 August 2013, 09:16.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

...and the market is picking up so I think rats and sinking ship springs to mind.

Perhaps someone ought to politely mention this fact to the PM
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                ...and the market is picking up so I think rats and sinking ship springs to mind.

He is the PM

Comment

So why didn't he replan so that go-live wasn't when he was on holiday?

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    ...The project he manages has slipped a few times and the go live falls on this week. His bosses boss told him he must cancel his holiday...
                    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

He IS the PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X