• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Replace Shimano gear shifters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Shimano gear shifters

I have some Shimano SIS SL40 Gear shifters on me old bone shaker. The left hand side one isn't shifting that well and rather than just replacing one side can i "upgrade" both? What would be a suitable upgrade? SLRS 41 ? 43? Would I need to change the full gearing system?

Not interested in buying a new bike mine does what I want (social, etc) but would like some new gears.

Ta

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

What exactly is it doing? You might want to get it all checked out rather than just changing the shifter, cos if it's badly adjusted or you have a very worn chain & sprockets that will affect the shifting as well.

OTOH, I have a similar problem with my beer scooter, the teeth in the rear shifter ratchet are knobbled and it won't shift at all. The shimano 7 & 8 speed systems have the same spacing between sprockets (I think, they made the hubs wider IIRC) so you should be OK to replace a 7 speed shifter with an 8 speed one, but a 9 speed one won't work. Everything else (cogs, chain, derailleur etc) can stay the same.
    Last edited by doodab; 17 August 2013, 14:14.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

No point in getting advice from me. I can't even fix a puncture.

Comment

Take it to the bike shop, no?
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          I have some Shimano SIS SL40 Gear shifters on me old bone shaker. The left hand side one isn't shifting that well and rather than just replacing one side can i "upgrade" both? What would be a suitable upgrade? SLRS 41 ? 43? Would I need to change the full gearing system?

Not interested in buying a new bike mine does what I want (social, etc) but would like some new gears.

Ta

qh
          By left hand side I'm assuming you mean the shift for the front derailleur? Either way the same applies below.

SIS stands for Shimano Indexed Shift, they are set up so that each click on the shifter moves the chain a defined distance and they only work right on chain sets/cassettes with the right gap between the cogs.

It's probably just that the cables have stretched and/or corroded and started sticking and need adjusting and lubricating to get them working again. Take it down to your LBS and they should be able to sort it for you at minimal cost. Even Evans or Halfords should be able to take a look at it for you, but will probably be more expensive.

Gear sets are usually sold as complete sets, that is front chain set, rear cassette and matching shifters so replacing them wont be cheap, and on a beater / pub bike it's probably not worth it.

Video tutorial on adjusting SIS gears here How to adjust your SIS gear shift » wooshbikes.co.uk | Electric Bikes | Woosh e-bikes | electric bicycles sales & hire
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yes I did take it to the LBS and they said due to age of said gear shifters they advised to get the same one (ebay, etc) and they would fit it for me. I was just wondering if I could upgrade to a slightly better shifter.

Cheers DaveB, it does sound look/like the cable has stretched.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

I've got STIs

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                I've got STDs
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  I've got STIs
                  Have you got any cream?

Just got back from the bike shop as i was looking at a new road bike. I want something with a little less friction than my mountain bike so I can keep up with you.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    I want something with a little less friction than my mountain bike so I can keep up with you.
                    Is there going to be a cuk bike race of something?

Comment

Working...
                    X