• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

French Resident - Cypriot Company - UK Working

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

French Resident - Cypriot Company - UK Working

As the title suggests, I am French resident and have been for a number of years. I do not have a residence in the UK. When I work in the UK, I rent places and charge it to the company. As you would expect, I currently pay UK corporation tax, VAT, PAYE etc. I do not perform services from France, so no tax etc is paid there.

Is a Cypriot company likely to be more tax efficient ?

Originally posted by mblinko View Post
    As the title suggests, I am French resident and have been for a number of years. I do not have a residence in the UK. When I work in the UK, I rent places and charge it to the company. As you would expect, I currently pay UK corporation tax, VAT, PAYE etc. I do not perform services from France, so no tax etc is paid there.

Is a Cypriot company likely to be more tax efficient ?
    You need a uk company for agencies to work with you. You could get away with it if you were working directly with your end client but I think most would be very dubious.

Also HMRC are cutting down on tax dodgys so its not likely to be a long term prospect.

Finally if you stay longer than absolutely necessary for working purposes you can't claim the rent unless you return home at the weekends. For your company to claim rent as an expense you need to be able to show another property that you live in at weekends.

NLUK will be along later to pick up any points I've missed but I really wouldn't go near any offshore based tax scheme. It may work short term but when HMRC find out the final bill could be very large.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

UK non-residents are still liable for tax on UK earnings.

HM Revenue & Customs: Income Tax when arriving in the UK

If you're not resident
      You'll pay tax on your income from:
      work you do in the UK
      UK pensions
      UK investments
      rental income from UK property
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
      X