• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Really need a Plan B.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really need a Plan B.....

Probably posted something about this in the past but I am starting to get a bit sick of the same old day in day out......

3.5 years of contracting has done a lot of good for me so I am not being ungrateful - it has allowed me to save money to buy a house, allow Mrs NWP2C to stay at home to look after child rather than work, given me a much better quality of life and generally live a lot better (including joining David Lloyd just last week!).

Having said that I feel the need to progress to the next level which is something of my own. It seems a natural progression to go from uni - employment - contracting - plan B.........

Where to get the inspiration/idea though?

Plan B's are something you are going to have to designate a lot of your own time and money to, so try and make it something you are interested in. If it is something you are not passionate about it will be hard to motivate yourself to make a success out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedSauce View Post
      Plan B's are something you are going to have to designate a lot of your own time and money to, so try and make it something you are interested in. If it is something you are not passionate about it will be hard to motivate yourself to make a success out of it.
      That's a very fair comment.....

One thing I have been thinking about is trading in stocks. might be more of a long-term thing rather than day trading. Stocks/shares/financial market is something I am interested in but just not sure I could hack the stress of it.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
        That's a very fair comment.....

One thing I have been thinking about is trading in stocks. might be more of a long-term thing rather than day trading. Stocks/shares/financial market is something I am interested in but just not sure I could hack the stress of it.....
        Having gone down this route, I can honestly say that earning £400/day ish doing IT work is far more profitable and far less stressful.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          Having gone down this route, I can honestly say that earning £400/day ish doing IT work is far more profitable and far less stressful.
          That was what I was thinking........

I just don't want to be working in IT when I am 40+. I'd rather be doing something I enjoy even if it pays a bit less....

Comment

That was what I was thinking........

I just don't want to be working in IT when I am 40+. I'd rather be doing something I enjoy even if it pays a bit less....
            So work your butt off, pay the mortgage off and reduce your outgoings. Then you can do what you want.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              So work your butt off, pay the mortgage off and reduce your outgoings. Then you can do what you want.
              Mortage paid off is still only £1k a month less outgoings.... Our current outgoings are in excess of 4k....

I'd still need 3k/month.

Comment

Mortage paid off is still only £1k a month less outgoings.... Our current outgoings are in excess of 4k....

I'd still need 3k/month.
                Your outgoigns are over 4k a month ?

Comment

I'd still need 3k/month.
                  Identify things you can cut then. Ours are 2.7k after mortgage but £700 are for things we wouldn't use if we weren't both working.

And there are a fair few other luxuries that could easily be cut if required
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'd still need 3k/month.
                    And you live in the NW? I could understand if you were paying childcare costs in London.
                    Tell me its because you have lots of kids?

What on earth do you need 3K a month for?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X