• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The economic recovery increaes pace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The economic recovery increaes pace

Interest-only mortgages make a return | Money | The Guardian

Surely this is good news?

Wonderful.

Originally posted by Banks
    Can't afford to make mortgage repayments? How about we cut the repayment in half and you gamble that you'll be able to afford the full rate in 3 years?
    I can see absolutely nothing that could possibly go wrong with this...

Comment

My first mortgage was for 56k when I earned 20k and was an interest only mortgage. It was cheap enough to get me out of my parents house and gave me enough confidence that a few years later I was comfortable with my outgoings and able to change the product and go on a beer fuelled credit spurge that spunked close to a million decade later and left me skint when the tulip hit the fan So it worked fine for me

Some people will take these and be fine others will become a cautionary tale...

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        My first mortgage was for 56k when I earned 20k and was an interest only mortgage.
        How much was pint of beer and a liter of diesel?

Comment

My first mortgage was for 56k when I earned 20k
          I'd say a 56K mortgage against a 20K salary is reasonable, whether on interest only or repayment.

What we're now looking at are 250K mortgages against probable salaries of around 30K (taking average figures). Even if you have 2 wage earners on that (so 60K income) you're jumping from a 2.8 multiple to 4.16. That is unreasonable in my mind.

And as AtW says, that 60K is worth a lot less now than it would have been back when you bought.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            How much was pint of beer and a liter of diesel?
            Beer was probably £3 in our local bar and probably 70p a litre it was only the 90's for godsake

Comment

Beer was probably £3 in our local bar and probably 70p a litre it was only the 90's for godsake
              I think you may be misremembering:
              http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html

And £3 a pint in the 90s? Were you in central London, or were you one of those s who will only ever drink Peroni... especially on my round

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                I can see absolutely nothing that could possibly go wrong with this...

We've not learned this salutory lesson about debt have we.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                  I think you may be misremembering:
                  http://www.speedlimit.org.uk/petrolprices.html

And £3 a pint in the 90s? Were you in central London, or were you one of those s who will only ever drink Peroni... especially on my round
                  Mainly drank in Islington or Liverpool street does that answer your question?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Yeah. this was on the news the other day..we've gone complete circle. Back to a debt-based housing-bubble based economy. Those bankers must do a heck of a job on their visits to no.11....Does Osborne walk a bit bow-legged afterwards?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X