• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At risk of being sued?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At risk of being sued?

I have a contract with a marketing agency and am employed by an umbrella. The marketing agency is supplying software to a large corporation and I've been writing code for them to encrypt bank details and credit card information and store them in a database.

Should I ask them for a message in writing that they won't sue me if there's a security breach?

Originally posted by IanIan View Post
    I have a contract with a marketing agency and am employed by an umbrella. The marketing agency is supplying software to a large corporation and I've been writing code for them to encrypt bank details and credit card information and store them in a database.

Should I ask them for a message in writing that they won't sue me if there's a security breach?
    Take out professional indemnity insurance.

Comment

PCI Compliance?
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes, I'd get the insurance if I didn't already have it ...

Can they really sue you if you're with an umbrella, though? Can't you play the poor oppressed "I was just obeying orders" employee card if things get nasty? Surely that's an advantage of using a brolly?

Just a thought

Comment

I thought it was the umbrella that had the contract with the client. You are just an employee of theirs?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I thought it was the umbrella that had the contract with the client. You are just an employee of theirs?
            Depends on how the marketing agency wrote the contract which the umbrella agreed to.

Though if you aren't party to the terms, which you can't be as an employee, then you may have to hire a solicitor to point that out if it goes wrong.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The contract is between the umbrella and the agency and the umbrella should have PI insurance in place
              Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                The contract is between the umbrella and the agency and the umbrella should have PI insurance in place
                Should have, but worth checking.

Still, if the umbrella company went bust/dissolved then any PI insurance would almost certainly lapse / be cancelled.

Comment

Working...
                X