• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Makes me mad, it really does

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes me mad, it really does

Triple murderer to challenge whole life tariff

Arthur Hutchinson is serving a “whole life” tariff for stabbing a wealthy couple to death after breaking into their home on the night of their daughter’s wedding, then killing one of their sons and repeatedly raping another wedding guest.

Strasbourg judges ruled last month that a tariff which forces murderers to die in jail was “inhuman and degrading” following an appeal by three killers including Jeremy Bamber, who shot dead five members of his family in 1985.

Now Hutchinson has become the first killer to capitalise on the ruling and attempt to have his own sentence declared a breach of his human rights.

Legal experts feared the initial challenge by Bamber and two other killers would lead to a deluge of similar claims, at great expense to the taxpayer, by all 49 killers and rapists serving whole life tariffs, as well as other murderers handed long sentences.
    Seriously, we've lost our collective bottle, we really have. We shouldn't even be having this conversation - people who have committed heinous acts like this belong somewhere like this and their only way out should be via the cemetery.

Human rights, 'elf n safety, global warming all have a lot to answer for.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

All the ECHR have said is that you have to review matters every 25 years. That's easy; you review it and tell him to come back for a chat in another 25 years, rinse and repeat.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        All the ECHR have said is that you have to review matters every 25 years. That's easy; you review it and tell him to come back for a chat in another 25 years, rinse and repeat.
        ...and how much does this cost the tax payer?

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Human rights, 'elf n safety, global warming all have a lot to answer for.
          I can see why your colleagues think your are a cretin.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by zoco View Post
            ...and how much does this cost the tax payer?
            Some money. It also costs the taxpayer a tulipload of money when people are kept in prison unnecessarily; it seems pretty obvious to me that the triple murderer you've referred to should stay in prison for life, but that's not necessarily the case for all 'lifers'.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Indeed, send him an invite to the review, apologise it took six whole weeks to organise and point out to the lawyers that they don't qualify for legal aid at court as you have fulfilled the requirements of the new ruling.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Have them breaking rocks for 12 hours a day on a diet of bread and water and they won't last 25 years - problem solved
                Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                  Have them breaking rocks for 12 hours a day on a diet of bread and water and they won't last 25 years - problem solved
                  and if they are found innocent later?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    and if they are found innocent later?
                    Then keep them in unprecedented luxury, feed them whatever they like, provide leisure facilities and internet access just in case but then what do you do if they are found guilty later?
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X