• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats the big deal?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the big deal?

BBC News - Swan 'killed and cooked' in Windsor

No evidence it was killed inhumanely. It was eaten. I don't see what the problem is?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

No evidence it was killed inhumanely. It was eaten. I don't see what the problem is?
    If the Queen ordered it, then now problem. I understand killing swans is illegal, and one of the few remaining laws to come under treason.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

It tastes horrible.

Comment

Don't be daft - How long do you think there would be any swans left if people could just bag them whenever they liked?

There's an interesting article here
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

No evidence it was killed inhumanely.
          As opposed to A Devon man who killed a swan with his bare hands

Comment

She added that it was a "horrific" sight and said the carcass had been "stripped of the meat".
            I guess she's never cooked a whole chicken for a Sunday Roast then
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

They're vicious buggers. I had to smack one in the head with an oar once when rowing down the Avon and one attacked. That did seem to piss it off even more though.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Snaresbrook pond used to have hundreds of swans nesting there. I used to enjoy an afternoon sat by the ponds feeding them, then all of a sudden they seemed to vanish...

about the same sort of time as the EU opened its borders.

Maybe they all decided to live in Poland with their new found freedoms...

More likely they ended up in a fridge.

I never really understood why certain animals avoid the plate on personality merits but at the same time its sad to see an empty pond just because our visitors don't care to fit in with our culture.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  ...all of a sudden they seemed to vanish...

about the same sort of time as the EU opened its borders.

Maybe they all decided to live in Poland with their new found freedoms...

More likely they ended up in a fridge.

I never really understood why certain animals avoid the plate on personality merits but at the same time its sad to see an empty pond just because our visitors don't care to fit in with our culture.

Originally posted by The article posted by OwlHoot
                  And finally, alleged swan-poaching: The Sun, that venerable old British tabloid, claimed in 2003 that police had arrested asylum seekers who were poaching and roasting swans. After several complaints about the authenticity "“ and indeed, the subtle racism "“ of the story, The Sun admitted that no such arrests had taken place, but maintained that the word on the street was that Eastern European refugees were snatching and eating the birds. These stories bear a striking resemblance to stories (read: urban legends) from other immigrant rich parts of the world, in which the bumpkin newcomers, seeing no reason not to, trap and eat ornamental birds like ducks and geese.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    Thanks hadn't read that far down

Regardless of yet another racist tussle it seems very odd that the pond was full of Swans for the previous 20 years but all of a sudden a border several thousand miles away opens up and the swans vanish almost overnight....
                    The locals were leaving them alone. The other immigrant populations settling near by had successfully walked past them and indeed shared the fun of feeding them over the years, so I wonder what changed?

Comment

Working...
                    X