• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain's Blind Faith in Intelligence Agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's Blind Faith in Intelligence Agencies

For the sake of balance, an outside view of surveillance Britain.

I'm flying back this weekend, should I leave my computer in Germany - seriously?

The Cozy Relationship between Britain and its Intelligence Apparatus - SPIEGEL ONLINE

It's astonishing to see how many Britons blindly and uncritically trust the work of their intelligence service. Some still see the GCHQ as a club of amiable gentlemen in shabby tweed jackets who cracked the Nazis' Enigma coding machine in World War II.
    I think what they're really saying is we're a bunch of loons.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I think what they're really saying is we're a bunch of loons.
    Maybe they extrapolated from you?

Comment

The Germans are just jealous that they don't have the brains and skills to do the same.
      It has been extremely embarrassing for them to see that nothing much has changed since the war when we could read most of their comms.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

The Germans don't have the pervasive surveillance culture that we have. They don't have CCTV everywhere, and they weren't terribly keen on Google Street View.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          The Germans don't have the pervasive surveillance culture that we have. They don't have CCTV everywhere, and they weren't terribly keen on Google Street View.
          Do they have the same kind of street crime we do?
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

We never had the Stasi, which would tend to make you distrust state surveillance.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
              Not as far as I am aware.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                Only in the places the Brits go on stag nights.
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Not as far as I am aware.
                  Maybe that explains the lack of CCTV?

I've never been to Germany so I don't know what it is like. Other Eurpoean cities don't terrify me as much as London does - odd isn't it? Do we just have all the scroats here?
                  Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Only in the places the Brits go on stag nights.
                    Bazza gets caught

Comment

Working...
                    X