• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Compulsary bike helmets?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compulsary bike helmets?

Seriously injured cyclist, 16, did not wear helmet because he 'did not want to mess up his hair' - Telegraph

Or should we just let Darwinism take its course?

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    That would mean the end of "Boris Bikes"

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Or should we just let Darwinism take its course?
      It's actually more complex than that. If compulsory helmets discourage people to cycle that may result in more harm overall (as people do less exercise) than arises from some of them not wearing helmets.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

1st world solution to a 1st world problem.

Typical nanny state interference which will lead to a story next years about obese kids not playing out any more for fear of breaing a nail lets face it if the dad couldnt get this guy to wear a helmet why the **** does he want the massive expense and intrusion to get the rest of us to do it for him ?
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

not bothered about the hair style now, got it shaved today
          Join IPSE

Comment

There was a study into the introduction of compulsory bike helmets in Australia.

The accident rate went up after introduction. The theory being people felt safer, so took more risks.

Comment

Conflict of interest

Being 52, I see non-helmet wearers as evolution in action and a good source of fit young organs to be donated to me as mine wither with age.

I have actually expressed that view directly to more than one cyclist in the last few years, dildos who have acted so stupidly that I have stopped them and asked if they carry organ donor cards, pointing out that as a fat old git, I would like first dibs.

I follow the argument that cycling may improve the population's fitness more than road accidents kill, but I've never seen any numbers, has anyone else ? Given the pollution in central London, it can't be all gain to breathe in a lot more air on the road.

I rather suspect fit people cycle, rather more than Boris bikes encourage unfit people to cycle.

Helmets for Boris Bikes are indeed an interesting problem to solve, my idea would be to engineer a folding helmet that fits in a pocket, can it be that hard ?
              My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

It's a push bike FFS.Helmets are just for posers.

Though I suppose if I wore one it would hide the receding hairline.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic Connor View Post
                  Being 52, I see non-helmet wearers as evolution in action and a good source of fit young organs to be donated to me as mine wither with age.

I have actually expressed that view directly to more than one cyclist in the last few years, dildos who have acted so stupidly that I have stopped them and asked if they carry organ donor cards, pointing out that as a fat old git, I would like first dibs.

I follow the argument that cycling may improve the population's fitness more than road accidents kill, but I've never seen any numbers, has anyone else ? Given the pollution in central London, it can't be all gain to breathe in a lot more air on the road.

I rather suspect fit people cycle, rather more than Boris bikes encourage unfit people to cycle.

Helmets for Boris Bikes are indeed an interesting problem to solve, my idea would be to engineer a folding helmet that fits in a pocket, can it be that hard ?

maybe some young turk with concise writing skills and brevity will bite the bullet and then we can all have a break , eh ?

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
                    There was a study into the introduction of compulsory bike helmets in Australia.

The accident rate went up after introduction. The theory being people felt safer, so took more risks.
                    Wasn't the same proved with Volvo drivers a few decades ago?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X