• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Juggling contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Juggling contracts

If you have a renewal offer at a low rate but long duration and a 4 week notice period, effectively making yourself unmarketable until the end of the contract, do you:

a: sign and sit it out
    b: request a shorter notice/contract period
    c: tell them you are not interested
    d: sign and walk out when a better deal comes along

If d:, do you say sorry, what do I owe the agency in terms of lost fees for 4 weeks or push them for unpaid invoices and tell them to take you to court for leaving early?

This is more to do with the agency than the client by the way, no real pressure of work.
    Last edited by BigRed; 21 August 2013, 21:38.

D, as long as you don't screw the client.
    Unless you contract says sth specific about this, you don't owe anything to the agent.

Comment

D is a dangerous path and one that should be used sparingly. You will at some point in your future depend on your reputation to get more work. Being mercenary and binning clients off regularly is poor form and will catch up with you. I know others have had experience of this on here and I have seen it with other contractors in the past.

What are your reasons for wanting out of the extension? You expect to jump as soon as someone offers you £10 a day more or just general covering bases should the worst happen? Why would you want to be marketable before you finish the gig? Surely it can't be just because you are unhappy with the agent?

There might be the chance of negotiating your way out after you sign but still, not something to be done too often.

Personally I would do B) and then C) until I get B) then do A).. In between all that I would negotiate a rate rise so I wouldn't need to go look for another gig.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

B and C and only A if desperate.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Most sensible clients will sit out a month notice for someone who can do the job well, I have never had an issue with notice.

So I would sign up and work and give notice when you line something else up.
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

D but only if it is significantly better. i.e not £10 a day more. If its got better long term extension prospects, closer to home, better contract etc. If so, then I will do it with no problems at all.

But ONLY for good reason. As someone said, its not cool to do so should be done sparingly.

Anyone who says they won't ever do it even if current 3 monther is for crap client, crap rate, miles from home, no chance of extension, and one £100/day more, 6 months, 10 miles from home, good prospects comes it and still wont do is lying or stupid.

I've only ever done it once. This was when promised 'only 6 weeks at location A - miles from home then you'll be based in location B - 10 miles from home' kept turning into 'just two more weeks'. Went on for 3 months then I canned it because something 10 miles from home did come up.

Nearly canned current one due to hassles involved but that was mainly due to personal situation and family illness. In this instance, if necessary, I would have canned without a thought to client/agent. Sorry my family comes 1st. As it was I've managed to stay till the end.
            Last edited by psychocandy; 22 August 2013, 08:59.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

In reply to some comments, £135/day more but current one is on my doorstep, others are staying away in the week.
              Current one is a bit of a dead end, already 1 release behind, soon to be 2 releases behind. No chance of a rate increase, to be honest the work doesn't justify it.

Regarding a client waiting 4 weeks, you must move in different circles. When agents call me it normally goes along the lines of:
              (agent) Good morning, I've come across your CV on jobserve/linkedin and you look an excellent match for a position I'm recruiting for. What is your current situation?
              (me) Well I'm in a contract with a 4 week notice period but I might be able to finish earlier
              (agent) Ok, when does it end, I'll get back to you around then

Comment

OR

say to the agent "the rate is too low for me to agree to a 4 week notice period. I'll do 1 week"

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                  In reply to some comments, £135/day more but current one is on my doorstep, others are staying away in the week.
                  Current one is a bit of a dead end, already 1 release behind, soon to be 2 releases behind. No chance of a rate increase, to be honest the work doesn't justify it.

Regarding a client waiting 4 weeks, you must move in different circles. When agents call me it normally goes along the lines of:
                  (agent) Good morning, I've come across your CV on jobserve/linkedin and you look an excellent match for a position I'm recruiting for. What is your current situation?
                  (me) Well I'm in a contract with a 4 week notice period but I might be able to finish earlier
                  (agent) Ok, when does it end, I'll get back to you around then
                  So you terminate your contract there and then?
                  Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    ..... You will at some point in your future depend on your reputation to get more work. ....
                    You may want to believe this but there's no real evidence to support it.

Most contractors have too low a profile to warrant any reputation, good, bad or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X