• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student deposit rip off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student deposit rip off

My son finished his first year at Uni a couple of months back, I asked him where the deposit is and it seems that Liberty Living, the company running the halls of residence, have taken the entire £300 for cleaning curtains, bleaching bathroom, and re-painting the walls in his room.

We bleached the bathroom before we left, we also polished the entire place, and he never had any posters on the wall as I recommended not because I had a feeling they were also in it for the deposits.

My son told me that nearly all the students were taken for there entire deposits, and most of the work should have come under normal wear and tear.

Be careful when your kids go to Uni!

When I have rented 2/3 bed flats before, they always try it on, but never more than 100 quid out of the deposit for whatever needed doing.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 22 August 2013, 07:09.
    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Does the contract state that a cleaning and repair charge will be deducted from the tenant upon departure? or does it say "if" damage has been made then a charge will be applied?

Big difference, for example, in most holiday cottage and furnished business apartment rentals I've ever used it is written that they will charge you anyway as part of the cost of rental irrelevant how clean you make it more so than you received it.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Have you complained to the university and the company? Or not worth the aggro? Do you still have a key so you can check if it has been repainted?

Bet you wish he had trashed it before he left now!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Have you complained to the university and the company? Or not worth the aggro? Do you still have a key so you can check if it has been repainted?

Its actually only a £200 deposit.

I have written an email of complaint, they sent some pictures, but hardly reason for a full repaint.

Will see what happens next week when the General Manager is back.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

next time take photographs
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            WHS, but are you sure they didn't detect puke rubbed into the carpet, reproductive training stains on the curtains and beer soaked into the walls? He was a student, you know.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's always been like this as far back as I can remember, take them to court if it's not in your contract or forget it as the price of doing business with scammers
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Sounds like the OPs son trashed the place. Hangings too good.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                  Liberty Living, the company [/URL]running the halls of residence, have taken the entire £300 for cleaning curtains, bleaching bathroom, and re-painting the walls in his room.
                  Only £300? You've raised a good well behaved lad...

Comment

Working...
                  X