• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plan B help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plan B help

My ClientCo is a large retailer, I have been working on system that integrates with a third party piece of software which is very expensive and widely used within the retail industry. The system it integrates with is written in JSP and the API is very very clunky, the integration layer I have written is very stable (>1million call through it a day).

This morning ClientCo asked me about how to package it so as to sell it to a third party. I had a quick google, and there does not appear to be an equivalent product out there, although the system it integrates with is very widely used. In order to make this a viable plan-b (and potential plan a), I have a few questions as I have always been a coder and had very little to do with the commercial side:

1) I assume the code I have written for ClientCo remains their property (can't see anything in contract)
    2) Other than severing a good relationship with current client, would there be any reason to worry if I contacted the company who wants to buy my code off clientco?
    3) How would you market a product such as the discussed?

The approach I am considering, is to write a new generic package encapsulating the whole functionality of the api into a .net dll. My initial thought is to develop a third party tool for integration at reduced cost for the first company, then resell it to other companies charging a license fee.

Working...
X