• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sick of Collections

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sick of Collections

I used to feel obliged to contribute to such office collections such a staff leavers etc. Most of the people I had never heard of. Recently I’ve changed my policy; not giving gives me greater joy than giving. Permies seem to be all too eager to collect money, but when it comes to send offs down pups rarely are the contractors invited unless they know the contractors paying. Even more annoying are these ridiculous charity collections, if you pay a pound you can where your jeans to work. I do not go along with those either, if there is a dress code then I am not making exception for money nor will I dress down on a Friday either.

So when some asks for money for Bob, I’ll reply Bob? Don’t know him, never spoken to him.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

If its someone in your team or someone you work with then a fiver is not going to kill me.

If its joe blow from some dept I've never heard of I find that telling the collector that I'm a contractor usually works out and does not leave bad feelings...
    http://nickmueller.blogspot.com/

Comment

These collections are great. I get rid of all my foreign and non legal tender coins this way.

Comment

If it's someone I know and like no problem - if not no chance

Comment

Problem is, the person coming over with the collection tin is usually the unbalanced, larger, prozac queen, lady with the pictures of the kids, a wide selection of fruit teas and quirky cuddly toys on her desk. Don't really wanna upset her! A couple of quid wouldn't kill me, no quid probably would! Oh, I forgot to mention the special orthopedic chair..........

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            I used to feel obliged to contribute to such office collections such a staff leavers etc. Most of the people I had never heard of. Recently I’ve changed my policy; not giving gives me greater joy than giving. Permies seem to be all too eager to collect money, but when it comes to send offs down pups rarely are the contractors invited unless they know the contractors paying. Even more annoying are these ridiculous charity collections, if you pay a pound you can where your jeans to work. I do not go along with those either, if there is a dress code then I am not making exception for money nor will I dress down on a Friday either.

So when some asks for money for Bob, I’ll reply Bob? Don’t know him, never spoken to him.
            Do you re-use Teabags?
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by chock
              Problem is, the person coming over with the collection tin is usually the unbalanced, larger, prozac queen, lady with the pictures of the kids, a wide selection of fruit teas and quirky cuddly toys on her desk. Don't really wanna upset her! A couple of quid wouldn't kill me, no quid probably would! Oh, I forgot to mention the special orthopedic chair..........
              You have a point there, and if she is a real cracker with a good pair of melons it’s a bit like tipping a table dancer.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I always cough up for anyone I know, put it down as good PR for a fiver, never know when people are going to court opinion of you with a view to contract extension.
                Goes along with showing an interest in permies lives/weekend/general smalltalk. I keep this to a minimum and I am brilliant at it. I hated one smug gimp I worked with/had occasional contact/needed to supply info but he had no idea of this and even invited me to his wedding (a prior engagement meant my attendance wasn't possible). Oil the wheels I say, it's a sales job after all, product is you, if they like you, they will buy more.

Comment

Just make sure you get a receipt...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Hear hear luke,
                    what goes around comes around!
                    Nobody likes a tightarse!
                    etc.
                    tl

Comment

Working...
                    X