• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Looks like someone got hacked off with this guy.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hacker Barnaby Jack's cause of death could remain unknown for months | Technology | theguardian.com

He featured on this week's Horizon.

Demonstrated how to reprogram an ATM to dispense free money.

Now I wonder...

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Hacker Barnaby Jack's cause of death could remain unknown for months | Technology | theguardian.com

Now I wonder...
    Yes I thought that when I saw that he was dead. his passing didn't even make slashdot...

Comment

A San Francisco police department spokesperson told the Guardian Jack was found dead by "a loved one" in an apartment in the city's Nob Hill neighborhood and that no foul play was suspected.
      Fnarr.

Comment

Boom boom.

Not that I'm implying he killed himself with a shotgun.

Comment

Brilliant piece of hacking though, relying on you finding your way last the installed security protocols for local access and remote file uploading. However, can you spot the flaw?

First you buy an ATM...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Now I wonder...
            Puffer fish venom, a microscopic amount of tetrodotoxin, on his toothpick?
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
              Brilliant piece of hacking though, relying on you finding your way last the installed security protocols for local access and remote file uploading. However, can you spot the flaw?

First you buy an ATM...
              Not really a flaw when you work for a security research company (or an organised criminal gang) and the ATM's can be bought on the web and delivered to your home.

The actual attacks exploited fundamental flaws in the ATM software; including the use of a master encryption key that was widely know to be compromised and available for purchase for $10 if you knew where to look, and the fact that insecure remote monitoring functionality was left enabled by default on every ATM in use.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
              X