• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Floor Tiles. Girly Question.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Floor Tiles. Girly Question.

A bit of a random question. I can't ask my friends or family about this as they will patronise me and tell me I shouldn't attempt this myself.

Two floor tiles have come loose in my en suite - one has cracked and is a bit of a health hazard.

I have some spare tiles in the garage. If I buy some tile adhesive, can I just blob some of that on the floor and stick some new tiles down?

How much of a risk is there that I'm going to end up sticking a body part to the floor/wall?

Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    A bit of a random question. I can't ask my friends or family about this as they will patronise me and tell me I shouldn't attempt this myself.

Two floor tiles have come loose in my en suite - one has cracked and is a bit of a health hazard.

I have some spare tiles in the garage. If I buy some tile adhesive, can I just blob some of that on the floor and stick some new tiles down?

How much of a risk is there that I'm going to end up sticking a body part to the floor/wall?

You will need to do the grouting as well. That is the goo that goes between the tiles.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Think getting the old ones off without breaking the surrounding tiles is the hard bit.

Comment

If just a couple of tiles yes its dead easy. Look it up on youtube.
        Wear gloves and you'll be fine.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          You will need to do the grouting as well. That is the goo that goes between the tiles.
          Oh. The stuff that looks like toothpaste?

Can I use toothpaste?
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            Think getting the old ones off without breaking the surrounding tiles is the hard bit.
            They are really loose. As in, they lift up when you tread on one side of them. I have managed to prise one out with a knife, so I think the other might be easy enough.

Or,the whole floor will need replacing when I'm through...
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

You want me to pop round with my tools and have a go on your bathroom floor?

Comment

Oh. The stuff that looks like toothpaste?

Can I use toothpaste?
                Yes, anything out of a tube will work perfectly well although Tomato Puree is not recommended. Another alternative is to use a hammer and lots of nails, the bigger the better, although this might result in unsightly cracks which can then be painted over with a nail varnish colour of your choice or Tippex.
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  You want me to pop round with my tools and have a go on your bathroom floor?
                  I don't think your tools are up to the job.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Once the tiles are up then clean the surrounding tiles edges, also try and remove any left over tile adhesive.

Depending on what type of base they are going on will depend on what type of glue to stick them down with.

If its a wooden floor with a bit of bounce then use a flexible adhesive. Once they have set then you can finish it off with toothpaste, garlic paste or any other type of tube filer that you have handy.

Comment

Working...
                    X