• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is the housing market being talked up just about everyday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is the housing market being talked up just about everyday?

CityAM, Metro and Evening Standard seem to report daily about the supposed house price boom?? And also about how help to buy is going to create another house price boom?

Anyone would think a general election is around the corner?

I can't see how help to buy will impact anything because the cash set aside for help to buy is no where near what was dished out in mortgages on a monthly basis during the last boom.

However, it seems that the media and .gov.uk are doing everything possible to talk up a house price boom!
    sasguru says:
    Yes but you are quite limited after all
    Answers on a postcard please!

My house went up £232.75 today.

Which was nice.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
      My house went up £232.75 today.

Which was nice.

Tax free too!!!

Comment

Its mostly so they can flog new-builds. Building new homes inflates GDP (hiring builders, creating materials, laying roads etc) and then you can get the taxpayer to pick up most of the purchase price through help to buy too.

Near us the new build estates are selling houses like hot cakes because of the scheme whereas houses on my street built in the 1980 are only selling in the sub 300K, everything else is just sitting there.

Higher GDP means lower borrowing costs for the government - got it?

Comment

House market is the only growth market we have left.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            House market is the only growth market we have left.
            Not True, there are lots of seriously good industries that we do well in. Whatch the Grand Prix if you don't believe me, at least 7 of those teams are English based, probably more. Oil and Gas we have some of the best geologists in the world. I know a guy on Linkedin that wanted to recruit a geophysicist, his guide price was over 200k we just perpetuate this myth that we are done and dusted and I don't know why. Maybe the Plebes are, but then there has always been an underclass in this country. The professional classes are doing just fine.

Comment

I suspect they are not trying to create another house price boom, but are trying to create demand to offset a reduction in prices caused by the (continued) unwinding of the last boom.
              I think their intention is to keep prices static.

The reason for this is to keep the banks stable, and not requiring any further bailouts.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Tax free too!!!
                only on your primary residence
                How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
                  Not True, there are lots of seriously good industries that we do well in. Whatch the Grand Prix if you don't believe me, at least 7 of those teams are English based, probably more. Oil and Gas we have some of the best geologists in the world. I know a guy on Linkedin that wanted to recruit a geophysicist, his guide price was over 200k we just perpetuate this myth that we are done and dusted and I don't know why. Maybe the Plebes are, but then there has always been an underclass in this country. The professional classes are doing just fine.
                  REminds me of the last scene from the last series of top gear. Almost all those "British" vehicles had some sort of foreign involvement.

We still import far more than we export.

Do you think the plebes should be slaves of the professional classes?

Comment

Working...
                  X