• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Predicatble quote from article

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Predicatble quote from article

Bright young things with nowhere to shine - Telegraph

I looked for the first instance of someone struggling to work to see if their degree was in anything useful. Sure enough :-

Sophie Bradford, 23, (below) who has a 2:1 degree in classical studies from Royal Holloway University and an MA in classical art and archaeology from King’s College London.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...d_2651910b.jpg

Two choices really. Get a useful degree or go on the game. Though she probably needs some training from MTT to get her into shape first......

The graduates had degrees in

(1) Classics
    (2) History
    (3) Philosophy

All really useful 'career' skills. Does it not occur to people before going to University wtf they're going to do when they graduate???

I got a degree in Maths and Computing. Never been out of work. Go figure.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

But even maths and computing degrees won't get you a job unless you have real-world work experience. I had to flat-out lie about that to get my first IT job 18 years ago, and I had an engineering degree.

Conversely a friend of mine had a history degree and somehow got himself a job as an accountant in the recession of the early 1990's. He swears blind to me that the "critical analysis skills" he learned during the degree helps him in the job.
      He's now a partner in his firm, earning 150K (bastard).

Comment

I'm having a bit of a James Bond experience with the biggest pimps in Europe, rather than treat me as their sworn enemy, I'm spending some time next week on their yacht with their senior execs.

This is relevant because they have some pretty harsh views on what comes out of UK universities, indeed they are helping me write some rather scathing pieces about schools.

They're called Randstad, they own Hays et al.
        My 12 year old is walking 26 miles for Cardiac Risk in the Young, you can sponsor him here

Comment

Apparently history is quite well regarded by law firms. My sprog did History at Leeds and got offered a training contract with a big London law firm, one of 15 out of 850 applicants

A similar argument in the Graun website today with an IT graduate saying dont do a computer degree, his life is boring and tulip.

Comment

Originally posted by socialworker View Post
            A similar argument in the Graun website today with an IT graduate saying dont do a computer degree, his life is boring and tulip.
            He has a job. Most jobs are boring and tulip. He should be more grateful and change his expectations.

Comment

I did History and I am glad I did. Never regretted it and it hasn't harmed my career at all

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                I did History and I am glad I did. Never regretted it and it hasn't harmed my career at all

We're not talking Ctrl-h in Internet explorer.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                  WHS

It's more like Alt-F4.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    They say that having an arts and a science degree make for a rounded individual.
                    With you, it was the pies

fat cnt

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X