• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish and Southern Electric

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scottish and Southern Electric

Anyone worked for them? They seem to have an overly zealous health and safety regime there.

Reverse park
    Hold handrails when using stairs
    No hot drinks in lifts
    Follow yellow lines when walking around the building

Don't think I'd last 5 minutes.

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Anyone worked for them? They seem to have an overly zealous health and safety regime there.

Reverse park
    No hot drinks in lifts

It comes from the fact that some sites need those rules (i.e. power stations) so all sites have the same rules. I've been to places like that and they need the rules to ensure evacuations are suitable quick.

Is it three strikes and you're out? Many oil companies are...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Reverse park
      No hot drinks in lifts

Seems like a walk in the park compared to some defence sites. If that is all that is going to put you off some good invoicing I would wonder if you are really cut out.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        It comes from the fact that some sites need those rules (i.e. power stations) so all sites have the same rules. I've been to places like that and they need the rules to ensure evacuations are suitable quick.

Is it three strikes and you're out? Many oil companies are...
        Didn't know that. I don't actually work there but have been offered an interview...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          If that is all that is going to put you off some good invoicing I would wonder if you are really cut out.
          I like to be in a working environment where I feel happy - not continually worrying about committing some transgression.

Comment

Reverse park
            No hot drinks in lifts

Had that when I worked at ICI years back - also, if you were carrying a hot drink the cup had to have a lid on it.

Never mind pumping a few tons of chlorine into the Mersey, it's having a lid on a mug which is important.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

ClientCo has all those and more. It has a counter on its website showing the number of days with "no work-related fatal incidents or other significant incidents impacting employees or contractors"

It's at 42.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                ClientCo has all those and more. It has a counter on its website showing the number of days with "no work-related fatal incidents or other significant incidents impacting employees or contractors"

It's at 42.
                BP has something like this when I was there. They also made you walk about 400m away from the building to have a cigarette.

Comment

One of my contractor chums had a gig at Shell for a number of years and he said they employ people to make sure people were using the stairs correctly and holding the handrails.

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Always found it amusing that the Nuclear Engineering Services (NES) building in Risley had all the H&S rules and more yet instead of lifts they had some antiquated revolving platform thing that was constantly going and you just stepped on and off to get between floors. Looked like an accident waiting to happen. I will bet my bottom dollar they don't have it now. Never got the hang of it and resorted to the stairs.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X