• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Paid in Euros

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paid in Euros

I'm about to start a new gig. Although it's based in the UK, I will be paid in Euros. Has anybody got any bright ideas where I can get a Euro account? Any recommendations?

High street bank

Comment

Cater Allen do a Euro Account.

Comment

Psychocandy knows a lot about this and there has been a couple of people asking exactly the same question recently.

You could try a search to see what they decided to do.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Don't bother - just take the hit - u'll have to somewhere down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
            Don't bother - just take the hit - u'll have to somewhere down the line.
            Yeah, I'd have to agree with this unless it's a long contract. You won't save anything by opening a Euro account unless you also open an intermediate FX account to reduce the margins on the eventual exchange. The only way to make a saving is to reduce the exchange margin somewhere, or to spend the money in Euros. Bear in mind that your bank may stiff you with fees for transfers out of your Euro account. Just not worth the hassle unless it's a long-term gig IMHO.

Comment

It may be better to take the hit but it is sometimes a requirement to have a Euro account in order to be paid. It is worth checking what each bank are charging. It is inevitable that you will be charged for receiving the payment but some banks also have a fixed monthly charge.

My advice would be to minimise activity in the account as much as possible due to the charges and the accounting complications. The majority of our clients simply use it to receive payment and then transfer the money to a sterling account at a time that suits them, which is usually at a time where the money is needed or when the exchange rate becomes favorable. If the account is used to pay salary, expenses etc. things get a little more complicated!

I hope this helps.

Martin

Comment

I have heard that Citibank are good at stuff like this, although I am unsure what the criteria are (perhaps look on their website). They have a branch at Canary Wharf for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Psychocandy knows a lot about this and there has been a couple of people asking exactly the same question recently.

You could try a search to see what they decided to do.
                  Lol I never ever thought I'd hear you say that about PC
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Euro account (citi or likewise) - then Transfer Money Online | Send Money Abroad with TransferWise to bring back.

Comment

Working...
                    X