• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Golden Mean

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Golden Mean

The golden mean or the golden ratio is acting a bit weird in my honest opinion.

If I were driving from Manchester to London, and I stopped for a wee, there would be a ratio of how far through the journey I was.

when the ratio of how far I have gone is the same as the ratio between how far I have gone cf to the remainder

that is the golden mean.

It is commonly 1.618. or the inverse .618.

or (a+b)/a = a/b.

Thats all very interesting, and we know it rules lots of things , like the length of bones in the body etc, but it also rules things that cannot possibly be in communication with each other.
    like galaxies.

why would galaxies try to fit this ratio ?
    I mean , whats in it for them ?

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Chances are you'd have a cuppa before leaving home, so would need a wee earlier in the journey than might otherwise be expected.

Have you factored in traffic jams? As soon as you're not going anywhere, your mind has time to tell you your bladder's full and goes into panic mode as you know you're stuck indefinitely.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Chances are you'd have a cuppa before leaving home, so would need a wee earlier in the journey than might otherwise be expected.

Have you factored in traffic jams? As soon as you're not going anywhere, your mind has time to tell you your bladder's full and goes into panic mode as you know you're stuck indefinitely.

hic!
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)

Comment

Have a golden wee on your face - that would be a golden shower would it not?

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
          Have a golden wee on your face - that would be a golden shower would it not?

look guys.

Celestial objects are being drawn together, or pushed apart, according to a mathematical concept, without any mechanical connect

and you are making light of it.

dont you realise how important this is ?

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
            look guys.

Celestial objects are being drawn together, or pushed apart, according to a mathematical concept, without any mechanical connect

I thought that was quantum.

Or maybe string theory....

<toddles off to dig out that Brian Cox lecture>
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

<toddles off to drool over Brian Cox>
              FTFY

Comment

The golden mean or the golden ratio is acting a bit weird in my honest opinion.

If I were driving from Manchester to London, and I stopped for a wee, there would be a ratio of how far through the journey I was.

when the ratio of how far I have gone is the same as the ratio between how far I have gone cf to the remainder

that is the golden mean.

It is commonly 1.618. or the inverse .618.

or (a+b)/a = a/b.

Thats all very interesting, and we know it rules lots of things , like the length of bones in the body etc, but it also rules things that cannot possibly be in communication with each other.
                like galaxies.

why would galaxies try to fit this ratio ?
                I mean , whats in it for them ?

Could it perhaps be a bias of our very selves, i.e. the way we perceive the world follows the pattern of the golden mean in some aspects.

Let's say we perceive 3-4(3D + time) dimensions and golden ratio might make sense for us and we might observe it in very distinct phenomenons. However, for a being that can perceive more or less dimensions than us, there might not be such a concept as 'length of bones' and therefore they will be unable to observe the golden ratio.

Imagine a being living on a 2D plane that can only observe 2 dimensions. It would not even be able to comprehend the 3d structure of our bodies, let alone observe its length, compare the lengths of our bones and calculate the ratio.

Not sure if I am making myself clear. What I mean is that it is possible that the way our brain perceives the world around us is based on some very simple patterns, such as the golden ratio. Therefore, we tend to observe the reflections of these patterns in some of the objects objects we measure / examine.

just my theory, in the end what can an economics major know
                Last edited by Quagmire; 27 August 2013, 22:04.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0anaCNDvGo

Comment

look guys.

Originally posted by cojak View Post

<toddles off to dig out that Brian Cox lecture>
                  You see, the string connects the things together and pulls on them. Light travels along the strings like sound along a string between two paper cups.

Easy, this physics.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X