• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Moving into a new sector

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving into a new sector

Would love to hear from the more experienced contractors. I have just under 3yrs experience working as contractor and over 5yrs experience working as a BA and have been working for both public and third sector organisations. As you may know public sector org. dont pay too well so am considering moving into the financial services sector but agencies i speak to keep refusing to put my name forward for gigs because of lack of experience in that sector, how do I convince them that i would still be able to deliver regardless of my lack of experience in the sector ?

Originally posted by ifeanyi007 View Post
    Would love to hear from the more experienced contractors. I have just under 3yrs experience working as contractor and over 5yrs experience working as a BA and have been working for both public and third sector organisations. As you may know public sector org. dont pay too well so am considering moving into the financial services sector but agencies i speak to keep refusing to put my name forward for gigs because of lack of experience in that sector, how do I convince them that i would still be able to deliver regardless of my lack of experience in the sector ?
    You would have to break into the financial sector first - Try to take a lower paying role just to break into the sector for 3 months or so .. then you will be fine. I was in same situation few years back... broke through when i got a role with RBS at an incredible stupid rate - £17.50/hr .

Nor cari las o ma chair!

Comment

Originally posted by rurffy View Post
      You would have to break into the financial sector first - Try to take a lower paying role just to break into the sector for 3 months or so .. then you will be fine. I was in same situation few years back... broke through when i got a role with RBS at an incredible stupid rate - £17.50/hr .

Nor cari las o ma chair!
      thanks rurffy, that is an incredibly low rate way lower than what public sector organisations even pay how did you cope lol? but do you think it was worth it considering you lost alot of money during the 3 months I may as well just stick to public sector orgs.

Comment

The public sector is low paid?? Are you nucking futs? I saw an advert the other week for an Architecture role at the MOD for over £600 a day so that the candidate could sit on their arse and read bid tenders because the MOD never bother doing anything in house For the record I think the Public sector have done very well compared to the finance guys (many of whom have been replaced by Indian outsourcers) What you might want to try is doing some more research on rates

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
          The public sector is low paid?? Are you nucking futs? I saw an advert the other week for an Architecture role at the MOD for over £600 a day so that the candidate could sit on their arse and read bid tenders because the MOD never bother doing anything in house For the record I think the Public sector have done very well compared to the finance guys (many of whom have been replaced by Indian outsourcers) What you might want to try is doing some more research on rates
          i have indeed done my research and as a BA (Business Analyst) rates in the public and third sector orgs (local authorities/charities) are low compared to investment banks, insurance firms and some retail banks.

Comment

I've never been sure about the idea that it's that hard to change sectors. I started in telecoms for 5 or more years, then on to a charity, then Govt contract, and then 2 years ago into the finance sector. Never once has the fact that I'd not worked in an industry before been an issue and the move into Finance has put me on my highest rate, which is the same as the rate I was on in the govt contract.

It sounds like a conversation with the agency is required to highlight the fact that as a BA you are doing the same stuff irrespective of which sector you are in.
            "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
            "See?"

Comment

thanks rurffy, that is an incredibly low rate way lower than what public sector organisations even pay how did you cope lol? but do you think it was worth it considering you lost alot of money during the 3 months I may as well just stick to public sector orgs.
              Well it was kinda worth it, because after that gig i added in bold "BANKING" to my CV -

got my next gig in London (Hedge fund) with a sexy day rate. It also depends on how you communicate with these agencies ..

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                I've never been sure about the idea that it's that hard to change sectors. I started in telecoms for 5 or more years, then on to a charity, then Govt contract, and then 2 years ago into the finance sector. Never once has the fact that I'd not worked in an industry before been an issue and the move into Finance has put me on my highest rate, which is the same as the rate I was on in the govt contract.

It sounds like a conversation with the agency is required to highlight the fact that as a BA you are doing the same stuff irrespective of which sector you are in.
                I'd say that it would be harder if you are a BA as there is domain knowledge to take into account. As a developer this is not so important than for a BA who is talking directly to the business.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
                  I'd say that it would be harder if you are a BA as there is domain knowledge to take into account. As a developer this is not so important than for a BA who is talking directly to the business.
                  You are right, domain knowledge is definitely important and would be an advantage however the core BA techniques and skills required can still be applied to all sectors and domain knowledge can be learnt in the process. it just sickening that agents dont even consider looking at your CV even though you have BA experience in other sectors. Guess I need to take a daily rate cut and a more junior BA role to break in

Comment

And therein lies the challenge, when was the last time you went out to buy something and came back with something very similar but not what you originally wanted? OK, not much difference between pepsi max and coke zero but they only cost 60p. A hiring manager looking to spend 50k over the next 6 months might be a bit more choosier.

In a boom it's easier to make the change as it's a seller's market, I don't know if anybody mentioned it but going to the dark side for a year is a good way of getting that knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                    X