• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Annoying Hipsters

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying Hipsters

I have a mate that owns a cafe/bar in a city I frequent on the mainland and so whenever I'm in the vicinity I pop in to enjoy a glass of vino and we put the world to rights.

Due to the economic climate he's having to find new ways to attract business. His latest being themed music evenings; Tues being Swing, Wed Salsa and Friday retro dance stuff.

Soooo, I was there last night enjoying a cheeky Riesling and some pleasant conversation with the barstaff but couldn't escape from the feeling that something wasn't right.

The clientele were, almost without exception, twats. I've been in many a chav infested local but this was different. There was a pretty mixed age group ranging from 20-somethings to prob mid forties but they all dressed in a similar fashion. Hats at a jaunty angle, bow ties, top buttons on shirts done up for the men and all the women looked like extras from I love Lucy. Fine, not to my taste, each to their own etc... But these have to be the rudest people I have ever encountered. I mean seriously lacking in manners or any sort of social awareness.

At one point the nice lady behind the bar refilled my glass and some prick asked her what wine it was. He then proceeded to pick up my glass and stick his nose in it. No "Do you mind", "May I" or "Excuse me", no acknowledgement that I was there. Completely oblivious. WTF is wrong with people these days? Barlass was as speechless as I was. She just dumped the wine in the sink and poured a fresh one but this is just one example of how rude "these people" are. It's not an age thing as they were a mixed bunch.

I shudder to think what Salsa night will be like.

Is a lack of manners and dressing like an Americana obsessed twat some new thing that has passed me by?

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    I have a mate that owns a cafe/bar in a city I frequent on the mainland and so whenever I'm in the vicinity I pop in to enjoy a glass of vino and we put the world to rights.

Due to the economic climate he's having to find new ways to attract business. His latest being themed music evenings; Tues being Swing, Wed Salsa and Friday retro dance stuff.

Soooo, I was there last night enjoying a cheeky Riesling and some pleasant conversation with the barstaff but couldn't escape from the feeling that something wasn't right.

The clientele were, almost without exception, twats. I've been in many a chav infested local but this was different. There was a pretty mixed age group ranging from 20-somethings to prob mid forties but they all dressed in a similar fashion. Hats at a jaunty angle, bow ties, top buttons on shirts done up for the men and all the women looked like extras from I love Lucy. Fine, not to my taste, each to their own etc... But these have to be the rudest people I have ever encountered. I mean seriously lacking in manners or any sort of social awareness.

At one point the nice lady behind the bar refilled my glass and some prick asked her what wine it was. He then proceeded to pick up my glass and stick his nose in it. No "Do you mind", "May I" or "Excuse me", no acknowledgement that I was there. Completely oblivious. WTF is wrong with people these days? Barlass was as speechless as I was. She just dumped the wine in the sink and poured a fresh one but this is just one example of how rude "these people" are. It's not an age thing as they were a mixed bunch.

I shudder to think what Salsa night will be like.

Is a lack of manners and dressing like an Americana obsessed twat some new thing that has passed me by?
    You mean they wore their hats indoors?

Says enough, really.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You've hit your mid-life crisis, finally. Just get a red sports car.

PS Where was it?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        You mean they wore their hats indoors?

Says enough, really.
        Yes. I would say 75% of the men had some sort of headwear on (inside)

Comment

In Glasgow (and perhaps the whole of Scotland?) I was very surprised to see that hipsters have beards. Big, proper beards not arty pencil-thin face-carving. It was interesting just how common beards were even on younger men, compared to England.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            In Glasgow (and perhaps the whole of Scotland?) I was very surprised to see that hipsters have beards. Big, proper beards not arty pencil-thin face-carving. It was interesting just how common beards were even on younger men, compared to England.
            Well, it's cold in Scotland innit.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              You've hit your mid-life crisis, finally. Just get a red sports car.

PS Where was it?
              Probably. I remember a year or so back getting annoyed with everyone dressing like a farmer... dungarees and welly boots. And this was in not an inexpensive bar.

It's in a nice area of a German city.

Comment

Probably. I remember a year or so back getting annoyed with everyone dressing like a farmer... dungarees and welly boots. And this was in not an inexpensive bar.

Oh, there, yes, now you're rumbled.

Comment

Ah well. Young Germans aren't known for their sensitivity and manners, in my experience.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

The clientele were, almost without exception, twats.
                    Was the 'almost without exception' was the sad lonely guy at the bar throwing back wine and hoping the bar staff would talk to him cause no one else would?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X