• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor C.V. advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor C.V. advice

Hi all!

First time poster, long time reader here.

Could you give some advice please with regards to a 'Contractor C.V.' please?

When it comes to contract work experience how do you outline your contract jobs? Do you specifically list the companies that you've worked for?

The reason I ask is that I currently don't. I have a section in my 'work experience' where, under the heading contracts, I state the month & year when I started contracting, and then a small paragraph stating the type of company I worked in (travel, tech, ecommerce, finance etc), the kind of project I worked on and the skills used.

I've been contracting for 18 months or so now, and not really had a problem getting any work so far. Many of my contracts have been for 3 months or more, which I'm happy with. Recently I've spoken to a couple of recruiters that seemed to be a little confused about my C.V. and asked why I hadn't listed company names etc. To be honest I did get the feeling that they were more interested in scraping my C.V. rather than contact me about a role.

NOTE - If the recruiters were to look at my portfolio website (listed at the top of my C.V.) they'd easily be able to see who I've worked for.

Have a dig through these threads and see if anything is useful to you..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=CV...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=CV...ntractoruk.com
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks NLUK, some quite useful links in there!

For anyone else looking for info these are the posts that I found most useful -

"Ideal" Contractor CV
      Limited Co. name on CV
      Gaps on CV
      Client names on CV?

Comment

On LinkedIn, there is a company called webrecruit.

They do occasional webinars on CV writing, interview techniques, etc.

Might be worth a shot if you want something interactive as well.
        They won't write you a CV, but will give you a heads up on current thoughts.

Comment

Working...
        X