• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do I get rid of this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get rid of this?

I have one of those recurring ads that embeds itself into practically every page I view.

It's for some slimming site and features an animation of the bottom half of a rather portly woman in a white thong "twerking" with all her flab bouncing around as she does it.

Is there some way of getting rid of this? It's putting me off me nosh.

search for 'custom hosts file' it remaps DNS entries for all the ad suppliers to localhost. Imagine redirecting junk mail straight to the bin at the post box.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Sorry. Thought this was a thread from Brillopads wife
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You sure it isn't just targeted advertising based on your google history so the same add appears in where ever advertising space is allocated on the page?

I remember when I first came across this. I was looking at Royal Caribbean cruises and a few websites later I got an advert for RC and the next site had it to. At the time I thought wow what a coincidence!!
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Sorry. Thought this was a thread from Brillopads wife
          How can it be? She isn't allowed near my computer....
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            search for 'custom hosts file' it remaps DNS entries for all the ad suppliers to localhost. Imagine redirecting junk mail straight to the bin at the post box.
            Ty. I'll try it out

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            You sure it isn't just targeted advertising based on your google history so the same add appears in where ever advertising space is allocated on the page?

I remember when I first came across this. I was looking at Royal Caribbean cruises and a few websites later I got an advert for RC and the next site had it to. At the time I thought wow what a coincidence!!
            This one seems more insidious than those Minority Report type ads. Furthermore, I've never been interested in slimming.

May have visited a few sites involving thongs though

Comment

How can it be? She isn't allowed near my computer....
              When I think of Brillos wife, Norman Bates always springs to mind.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You're not the only one - Conservative MP Gavin Barwell in 'date Arab girls' Twitter gaffe | Metro News

A Conservative MP has been left red-faced after a plan to expose Labour for making money off a ‘date Arab girls’ link backfired and revealed it was actually a targeted advert for his computer.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I keep getting ones for Christian Dating, if there is one thing i don't need help with it is finding girls who won't sleep with me

Comment

bottom half of a rather portly woman in a white thong "twerking" with all her flab bouncing around
                    Please email me this virus and I will have a look.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X