• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8

Really takes some getting used to. I can see how it would work well on a touch screen device but on a normal laptop it's just awful.

It's just the fact that it works in 2 different spheres -desktop mode and Metro app mode - and there is a definite disconnect between the two. What really drives me nuts is that as I drag a finger over the mousepad to move the cursor on the screen, it often toggles my view to app view or vice versa and it's incredibly annoying.

I know there is an update available which has reintroduced the start button so I might give that a whirl....

Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    Really takes some getting used to. I can see how it would work well on a touch screen device but on a normal laptop it's just awful.

It's just the fact that it works in 2 different spheres -desktop mode and Metro app mode - and there is a definite disconnect between the two. What really drives me nuts is that as I drag a finger over the mousepad to move the cursor on the screen, it often toggles my view to app view or vice versa and it's incredibly annoying.

I know there is an update available which has reintroduced the start button so I might give that a whirl....

It’s a pile of poo. I tested it on my home network and used a sniffer to see what it was doing. It’s a security risk therefore I’m out.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I use it on a normal laptop and find that it mostly works really well.

I had to turn off gestures on the trackpad though - I'd be moving the cursor and it would think I was trying to do something flash instead, once turned off (or when using a mouse) then it's fine.

Some of the apps need a good looking at. Especially the email app - not being able to drag and drop emails into folders is completely stupid.
      I also don't like the way that instead of moving an app into windowed mode, you instead have to move it to the sidebar, and that with a lot of apps alt-tabbing out resets them (e.g. Netflix returns you to the browse menu).

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        It’s a pile of poo. I tested it on my home network and used a sniffer to see what it was doing. It’s a security risk therefore I’m out.
        What are you on about? If you're going to make such claims you really should post some details that can be verified, even report them to some tech sites.

W8 seems fine to me, it sounds like 8.1 is an improvement for traditional PCs so I look forward to updating.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          What are you on about? If you're going to make such claims you really should post some details that can be verified, even report them to some tech sites.

W8 seems fine to me, it sounds like 8.1 is an improvement for traditional PCs so I look forward to updating.
          He probably had his hound sniff the Ethernet cable and it smelt suspicious.

Comment

M$ have really lost the plot.

Comment

OS is good - metro bit is cr@p

full screen apps, jumping back and forth between desktop and metro.

Saying that my kids understand it cause it looks like lego

Comment

Windows 8 is another Vista. It has been received badly by the market and was a factor in Steve Ballmer's recent sacking.

I've used it and personally I don't like it and don't see the point of having it. I'm out.

Comment

Just install pokki and work in the desktop mode. It's like your back with Win 7.

When I bought my MacBook pro, it took my a while to get used to the OS but I didn't start posting on forums about how crap it was. So take a little time to get used to win 8.

I've got a Helix and I develop in desktop mode, with the start menu installed, its fine. When I want to use it as a tablet I will use the modern UI.

It seems really straightforward to me and some of the gestures are excellent, closing apps swipe down, swipe up for properties etc.

The mail app is my pet hate, so slow starting up. Otherwise, it's a pretty good OS.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                    Windows 8 is another Vista. It has been received badly by the market and was a factor in Steve Ballmer's recent sacking.

I've used it and personally I don't like it and don't see the point of having it. I'm out.
                    So, why don't you like it?

Comment

Working...
                    X