• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High mileage big cars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High mileage big cars

Well my Ford Focus run about finally died. Too much wrong with it to keep it so am looking for something new. Looking to spend about £6k and will be doing around 30k miles a year so needs to be diesel. Would like something that is a bit of fun not just another Focus type though.

What is the boards thoughts on the high mileage big cars like the 5 series, Jag X Type etc 6k gets you something around 100k miles. Are these to be avoided as they will start costing or will they take me to the moon and back without too much cost? They still seem to go for a decent amount even with 150k on the clock. There is one up with over 300k on the clock lol...
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well my Ford Focus run about finally died. Too much wrong with it to keep it so am looking for something new. Looking to spend about £6k and will be doing around 30k miles a year so needs to be diesel. Would like something that is a bit of fun not just another Focus type though.

What is the boards thoughts on the high mileage big cars like the 5 series, Jag X Type etc 6k gets you something around 100k miles. Are these to be avoided as they will start costing or will they take me to the moon and back without too much cost? They still seem to go for a decent amount even with 150k on the clock. There is one up with over 300k on the clock lol...
    Honda Accord Diesel if you want to play it safe
    BMW 3 Series if you want a bit of a risk.....

BTW you can use the search facility of the forum and you will find we have already discussed this before several times.....

Newbie...
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 30 August 2013, 14:11.

Comment

Have you tried a search: High mileage big cars - Google Search

Have you asked your accountant?

Comment

X type isn't big. S type or XJ diesel can be very good value and you get a lot more car for your money; the 2.7 d is a bulletproof engine and very enjoyable for a diesel, but get an independent check first and be sure the maintentance has been done. I have my second jag now; both good, but they're sensitive if someone hasn't had the servicing done properly. In theory the diesel engine should manage 300+k miles without too much trouble if its mostly motorway mileage. 100k miles is fine as long as belts and tensioners have been maintained/replaced according to schedule.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You can get a nice big car for £2k and spend the difference fixing it.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Honda Accord Diesel if you want to play it safe
            BMW 3 Series if you want a bit of a risk.....

BTW you can use the search facility of the forum and you will find we have already discussed this before several times.....

Newbie...
            Yeah but they are midrange cars and have to pay your money and take your chance. Been there and done that. Thought about stepping up and getting some of the larger cars which people tend to over look might be worth a punt. Stuff like A8's 5 series and the like. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a high mileage 3 series but would a 5 series but an option or am I assuming these big cars go forever and that just isn't true.

Comment

Yeah but they are midrange cars and have to pay your money and take your chance. Been there and done that. Thought about stepping up and getting some of the larger cars which people tend to over look might be worth a punt. Stuff like A8's 5 series and the like. I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a high mileage 3 series but would a 5 series but an option or am I assuming these big cars go forever and that just isn't true.
              XJ Diesel.

Comment

Mostly the same engines shirley?

The thing is with diesels is the older the better, not in mpg but reliability. Euro rules and regs have meant the modern ones are full of gadgets and gizmos to keep emissions down but they're all bloody expensive to fix when they go wrong.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

The XJ diesel's aluminium so it's lighter than the competitors which gives you good MPG and performance. It's also not an Audi, so people won't hate your guts.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Mostly the same engines shirley?

The thing is with diesels is the older the better, not in mpg but reliability. Euro rules and regs have meant the modern ones are full of gadgets and gizmos to keep emissions down but they're all bloody expensive to fix when they go wrong.
                    Not really just the engines. The Focus only did 80k miles and ball end joints had gone, excessive play in steering rack and a wheel bearing needed replacing. Just ridiculous in this day and age for a car of that mileage. I wonder if I just bought a bad one and it's got me thinking too much.

Very good point about the gadgets though.

Comment

Working...
                    X