• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is every contractor depressed?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is every contractor depressed?

You go from client to client, sold on writing some cutting edge greenfield system only to discover that you'll actually be spending your time debugging shoddy tulipe written by an army of permies who spend their time pontificating about the "architecture" and adding more and more meaningless layers to the system.

Then you get jack of it, find a new contract, and pluck up enthusiasm for a week until reality sets in that it's the same old tulipe yet again.

After a while even working out what you got paid for making a coffee and taking a dump that day ceases to keep you motivated.

Or is it just me?

Sorry my friend, i believe it might well just be you.

I spend my time having the contract extended almost on a daily basis because they are too busy to make a decision. Meanwhile, I decide what part of the world im gonna go holidaying to next, weighing up whether to get a PSP or wait for the PS3, researching great restaurants to take the new lady friend to, flirting on msn and wondering what would be the perfect summer drink to have at lunch..

Contracting life is fantastic..

If it gets you down, just look at your bank balance and work out what you can do with it to ensure your happier than all the permie scum in the room..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I think you're right ! but then all office work is dull and depressing !
      It's all the same where ever you go ! just different flavours of management decisions that still amount to the same bollox !

Comment

I am most certainly not depressed. I work in a faced paced environment: 24 hour real time global trading in the City - the project is a real buzz. I get paid well, I have a beautiful wife, I am fit, healthy, and luckily have a chemical balance in my brain that naturally leaves me of a happy disposition.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
          I am most certainly not depressed. I work in a faced paced environment: 24 hour real time global trading in the City - the project is a real buzz. I get paid well, I have a beautiful wife, I am fit, healthy, and luckily have a chemical balance in my brain that naturally leaves me of a happy disposition.

you're obvioulsy young and not experienced the better qualities in life....like doing less for more ! it's not about working hard is about working smart and having more time to enjoy your wife and health !

Comment

One thing I don't miss...APPRAISALS!!!!

The same old meaningless sh1te every 6 months and for what? The fact we can pay ourselves a bonus any time of the year makes me grin pretty much all day....

Comment

Originally posted by djfoot
              One thing I don't miss...APPRAISALS!!!!

The same old meaningless sh1te every 6 months and for what? The fact we can pay ourselves a bonus any time of the year makes me grin pretty much all day....

Haha! Yea appraisals -- when I was young(-er) and naive I used to believe that my entire future depended on these 30 minute meetings with a low level manager who wouldn't even have the authority to sign my timesheet now.

Comment

30 minutes!!! I was considered poor show if I couldn't string them out for 2 hours. With 12 staff, that was a big chunk out of my internet surfing time.

I do miss being appraised though. I leave that to the missus now who always gives me one.....

Comment

Originally posted by Andyw
                  you're obvioulsy young and not experienced the better qualities in life....like doing less for more ! it's not about working hard is about working smart and having more time to enjoy your wife and health !
                  And you must be tulipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
                    And you must be tulipe.

And you deserve to work your arse off for a bunch of arrogant money motivated tosspots in the city ! one day you will realise that your life has passed you by and you have done nothing (except for two weeks a year)

Fool !

Comment

Working...
                    X