• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 8

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 8

Will people keep on buying it even if it's crap?

Don't understand this amazing loyalty. But well done microsaft, if you can continue making money from a dead horse, I'd flog it.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Will people keep on buying it even if it's crap?
    Two reasons:

1) OEMs put it into new PCs because old versions are discontinued

2) Running legacy software

Both reasons are now in decline.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Two reasons:

1) OEMs put it into new PCs because old versions are discontinued

2) Running legacy software

Both reasons are now in decline.
      Exactly, can't get new PCs from the major outlets with anything other than Win8. I bought a cheap laptop just as Win8 was coming in and the retailers were trying to shift the old Win7 stock. I had a feeling MS would follow their good release / bad release pattern...

Comment

It's not loyalty to Microsoft that makes people buy PCs/laptops; they just buy PCs/laptops. It's not like there's really an alternative to Windows.

I think now Ballmer's going, MS will make a U-turn and we'll have "Windows 8 desktop edition", or some such thing that allows them to remove (or at least hide) Metro, and then it'll be fine. MS's major strength has to be all those millions of business desktop users, so trying to sell them a tablet OS is downright suicidal, whereas a touchscreen version of Windows for tablets was probably the right strategy for the home user market.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          It's not loyalty to Microsoft that makes people buy PCs/laptops; they just buy PCs/laptops. It's not like there's really an alternative to Windows.
          Except that people more or less stopped buying PCs/laptops

Well, they still do buy PCs - smartphones, tablets but those ain't Wintel ones...

Comment

I really find it hard to understand when people say win 8 is a pile of crap.

I've met a few people that really hate Microsoft and will argue the toss about the merits of Linux, SQL Server v Oracle etc.

So I'm wondering if it's the same kind of thing here, MS haters?

Comment

Except that people more or less stopped buying PCs/laptops

Well, they still do buy PCs - smartphones, tablets but those ain't Wintel ones...
              It's my pet hate when people say stupid things without a link. People haven't more or less stopped buying pcs. PC market has suffered a sustained decline but that's much different from you daft statement.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                that's much different from you daft statement.
                Manufacturers certainly feel that way - you should walk in to PC World and take a note what people are buying before Xmas, just ask staff there what sells.

People are replacing failed PCs but purchasing cycles have increased considerably - there is no compelling reason to upgrade anymore unless you have 5+ years old PC.

Most of new popular, exciting software isn't done for desktop - other than games (and PC games market is in decline due to piracy).

Intel knows it, just check how much they now charge for server chips - $3-4k USD is not unusual anymore for top end Xeon, they are shifting burden of cost to the "cloud" - people access services via thin clients, so Intel wants its cut from those who host and sell those services.
                Last edited by AtW; 31 August 2013, 15:08.

Comment

Manufacturers certainly feel that way - you should walk in to PC World and take a note what people are buying before Xmas, just ask staff there what sells.

People are replacing failed PCs but purchasing cycles have increased considerably - there is no compelling reason to upgrade anymore unless you have 5+ years old PC.

Most of new popular, exciting software isn't done for desktop - other than games (and PC games market is in decline due to piracy).

Intel knows it, just check how much they now charge for server chips - $3-4k USD is not unusual anymore for top end Xeon, they are shifting burden of cost to the "cloud" - people access services via thin clients, so Intel wants its cut from those who host and sell those services.
                  Your still getting confused between facts and opinions. You haven't backed up your statement about people more or less not buying PC's. I'm not going to visit PC world and speak to them to help validate your daft statement.

Which manufacturers have said that people are more or less not buying PC's?

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                    I really find it hard to understand when people say win 8 is a pile of crap.
                    Did you every consider that if so many people are saying that Win8 is a pile of crap then maybe it is, in fact, a pile of crap?

I've been using Windows, Macintosh and Unix systems for over 20 years and I like to think I understand these systems reasonably well.

Recently, I was shopping for a new laptop and I took a look at Windows 8 but couldn't make head nor tail of it.

So I brought a Macbook instead - and it turns out to be a good choice...
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X