• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Education in this country is screwed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education in this country is screwed

I've decided I fancy doing an adult education course, learning how to use CNC machines for milling & turning metal.

So I had a look on my local council website. I can get courses in crystal healing, applying make up, nail art and facial skincare. I can study ballroom dancing or christmas flower arranging. But I can't even learn how to use hand tools, never mind a ******* lathe.

While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I've decided I fancy doing an adult education course, learning how to use CNC machines for milling & turning metal.

So I had a look on my local council website. I can get courses in crystal healing, applying make up, nail art and facial skincare. I can study ballroom dancing or christmas flower arranging. But I can't even learn how to use hand tools, never mind a ******* lathe.

When you start wearing overalls instead of gingham dresses they met let you play with big boys toys!

Anyway, it's 'elf and safety, init?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      When you start wearing overalls instead of gingham dresses they met let you play with big boys toys!

Anyway, it's 'elf and safety, init?
      I need a bigger shed. I wonder if I can rent a small industrial unit somewhere.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

You can get a BA in make up and hair design too.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

China and most Asian countries do loads of these courses.

It is why the UK is f**ked.

Comment

Market forces.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Market forces.
              Market forces, often reckoned to be inherently benign, are essentially the same forces that cause evolutionary dead ends such as the appendix, male nipples and chihuahuas.

Comment

I need a bigger shed. I wonder if I can rent a small industrial unit somewhere.
                If you can find one not rented out to Polish immigrants sleeping ten to the dozen.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

On a serious note, if you're really interested in learning why not have a look in your vicinity for a small engineering workshop and have a chat with the owners, ask them for advice.

Failing that your local model railway club/society may be able to point you in the right direction.

Start by buying a "Model Engineering" magazine from your local WHSmith.

Comment

Market forces, often reckoned to be inherently benign, are essentially the same forces that cause evolutionary dead ends such as the appendix, male nipples and chihuahuas.
                    The male nipple is essential as without it there would be no female nipple.

Comment

Working...
                    X