• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living off your Business Bank Account

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living off your Business Bank Account

I know somebody who essentially lives off his business bank account for everything; rent, loans, car, food, beers, etc.. It surprised me and he has been doing this for years now.

If he happened to be investigated by HMRC, what would be the likely outcome?

And no, it isn't me.

P

Nothing assuming he's accounting for it properly.

While it's bad form and a bit confusing if he has the mother of all P11ds or a massive DLC he pays off with dividends then he's not doing anything wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
      Nothing assuming he's accounting for it properly.

While it's bad form and a bit confusing if he has the mother of all P11ds or a massive DLC he pays off with dividends then he's not doing anything wrong.
      DLC?

There are only certain types of things you can expense on your business, last time I looked into it. Are you saying it's perfectly OK to put your entire life expenses through your IT Contractor Business Account, so long as you account for the expenses properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
        DLC?

There are only certain types of things you can expense on your business, last time I looked into it. Are you saying it's perfectly OK to put your entire life expenses through your IT Contractor Business Account, so long as you account for the expenses properly?
        if you pay the BIK and taxes due you can claim anything. Not very tax efficient though, the guy must either be fiddling it like mad or taking the hit.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          if you pay the BIK and taxes due you can claim anything. Not very tax efficient though, the guy must either be fiddling it like mad or taking the hit.
          He doesn't pay BIK or taxes due, he simply claims and claims. Is this considered a type of benefits or tax fraud I wonder?

Comment

There's nothing wrong with doing that, or running a business through your personal account for that matter, although the bank may have an issue.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              There's nothing wrong with doing that, or running a business through your personal account for that matter, although the bank may have an issue.
              I understand that, but this is assuming you account and report them, and pay taxes on them, things that he doesn't do, and I am just wondering what the consequence of this would be if he gets investigated (unlikely though I suppose).

Comment

He doesn't pay BIK or taxes due, he simply claims and claims. Is this considered a type of benefits or tax fraud I wonder?
                I'd suggest tax evasion, if he's not paying taxes on personal income. Rent is not a business expense, for example.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I understand that, but this is assuming you account and report them, and pay taxes on them, things that he doesn't do, and I am just wondering what the consequence of this would be if he gets investigated (unlikely though I suppose).
                  Unlikely isn't really justification for doing something like this. It is unlikely to get investigated if you do everything properly. If you start dicking with your accounts like this it is puts you at a much greater risk of being flagged by HMRC and get investigated. I would expect he will get fined a percentage of all the stuff he should have paid tax on as well as interest as well as paying the tax on the stuff they find. If he has been so lax in his accounting and they suspect fraud they can go back many years and may even charge him with tax evasion/fraud and possibly have him struck off as a director.

I can't see for one minute what he is doing is worth the potential fall out. Let him **** his own life up and you just get on with yours.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The easiest way to find out is to fill out the form here and watch what happens...
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X