• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Negotiating for Contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating for Contractors

CUK have invited me to take part in this thread following my article on negotiation on the home page today.

The article is just one view based on my experiences as a contractor over 16 years. Much has changed over the years.

Maybe your experience has been different. What worked and didn't work in your own contract negotiations?

Cheers
    John

Take part or tout your business?

Just to clarify - we asked John to participate and he kindly agreed to answer any questions.
    Thanks
    CUK
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 1 August 2006, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by theITcoach.biz
      CUK have invited me to take part in this thread following my article on negotiation on the home page today.

The article is just one view based on my experiences as a contractor over 16 years. Much has changed over the years.

Maybe your experience has been different. What worked and didn't work in your own contract negotiations?

Cheers
      John
      Having another offer on the table invariably ends up with me getting a higher rate, cause I've got the leeway to then use that to play them off against each other. Bit wary trying it if there's only one offer on the table and I need a contract in a hurry.

If I'm in a job I'd ask for a raise every 6 months, and expect to get something at least every year (Otherwise I'm taking a cut IMO). How you justify it depends on the particular circumstances, but using market rates going up usually helps (Assuming they are).
      Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Maybe I am missing something - but to me the article was common sense and nothing more. I didn't learn anything from it. I reckon 75% of the people who contribute to this board could have written it.

I have to admit to being very very sceptical of the value of any of these "life coaching" things - the article did nothing more than reinforce that belief.

I even took a couple of minutes to look to the website. Why put text in a webpage as an image? Suggest some investment in your web site would be time well spent.

Comment

If an agent does not specify a rate band I will ask before I send in my details. I am up front with them and I say that it’s silly to waste time on both sides if we are not talking about realistic rates. I am flexible depending on what the work is but I do not accept lower rates than what the work is worth. In the cases where the client or agent does NOT want to pay a realistic rate invariably you will see that the contractor is not suitable and leaves after a few weeks. How many contracts have I been to where the permie has messed up the project or the previous contractor could not hack it? Loads…
          HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Originally posted by martinb
            Maybe I am missing something - but to me the article was common sense and nothing more. I didn't learn anything from it. I reckon 75% of the people who contribute to this board could have written it.

I have to admit to being very very sceptical of the value of any of these "life coaching" things - the article did nothing more than reinforce that belief.

I even took a couple of minutes to look to the website. Why put text in a webpage as an image? Suggest some investment in your web site would be time well spent.

Presumably to try and stop people nicking it with cut and paste. Not sure why they would want to in all honesty.

Mind you, the name doesnt help. John Waine.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by martinb

Martin,

You're definately right about the webpage. Pretty crap.

CUK asked me to write something about negotiation - so I did. As you say, I expect most folk on here are well-versed anyway.

I did wonder how much negotiation still goes on with the client. Time was when you could discuss the rate with the client, and then present it to the agent. At my last place, there was in an agency in-house dealing with other agencies, so any discussion of rate went first to the agency, they would speak to client, then ring you back, it was a joke.

Cheers
              John

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
                Presumably to try and stop people nicking it with cut and paste. Not sure why they would want to in all honesty.

Mind you, the name doesnt help. John Waine.
                Dave,

So far so good: tulipe name, tulipe webpage.

Cheers
                John

Comment

Originally posted by bobsmithldn
                  Take part or tout your business?
                  Bob,

Taking part.

John

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                    Having another offer on the table invariably ends up with me getting a higher rate, cause I've got the leeway to then use that to play them off against each other. Bit wary trying it if there's only one offer on the table and I need a contract in a hurry.

If I'm in a job I'd ask for a raise every 6 months, and expect to get something at least every year (Otherwise I'm taking a cut IMO). How you justify it depends on the particular circumstances, but using market rates going up usually helps (Assuming they are).
                    Snaw,

Another offer is certainly worth a shot. But it is tricky sussing the lie of the land. Some places take offence at the mere notion that you want to leave. Some suddenly appreciate your value when you say you've got another offer. Depends.

I agree about asking for a raise every extension. Why not? The first shot is usually something about how it's company policy to maintain rates as they are...blah-blah. Rarely as cut & dried as that.

Re: justifying. Market rates is one. Changes in Responsibilities and Knowledge too.

Cheers
                    John

Comment

Working...
                    X