• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No parking for contractors

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No parking for contractors

Late for my first day as I got to client co and they told me no spaces for contractors. Anyone had this before.?
    Had to walk half a mile

Probably don't want us making the permies jealous

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    Late for my first day as I got to client co and they told me no spaces for contractors. Anyone had this before.?
    Had to walk half a mile

No, it's to give the permies a sense of being 'privileged'.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Had to walk half a mile

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...-question.html
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

They're being nice. If you're not a permie then get to use a visitor space

Most client co's just make contractors use the same car park spaces as the permies
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Generally I would have asked that question and set their expectation at the interview stage. I travel quite a way for most contracts and I don't mind that but when it gets to the last mile of 99 and I am left dicking around because some security guard is being a prat that time is their cost.

I normally say something along the lines of "I expect to park onsite, is that acceptable?" If they say no we are constrained for space. Change your rate to cover additional time and costs. Or walk away and make a point of explaining that you are not wasting your time wandering around the streets because of their policies towards contractors. Your day rate is a rate for 7.5 hours and its paid because of your experience. Its not Oh we pay him a fortune so we want him to waste additional hours for free.

To me its a question of courtesy: I am a guest on their site so I expect to be treated as one.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Generally I would have asked that question and set their expectation at the interview stage. I travel quite a way for most contracts and I don't mind that but when it gets to the last mile of 99 and I am left dicking around because some security guard is being a prat that time is their cost.

I normally say something along the lines of "I expect to park onsite, is that acceptable?" If they say no we are constrained for space. Change your rate to cover additional time and costs. Or walk away and make a point of explaining that you are not wasting your time wandering around the streets because of their policies towards contractors. Your day rate is a rate for 7.5 hours and its paid because of your experience. Its not Oh we pay him a fortune so we want him to waste additional hours for free.

To me its a question of courtesy: I am a guest on their site so I expect to be treated as one.
            WHS. If they treat you like that before you've even parked the car what's going to happen when you sit down? **** em.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Had to walk half a mile

It's to keep you out of IR35...

Comment

Leave the car at home, take a taxi each morning to the front door and invoice the fare.

Did that once for a client in London. Remember you're not the victim here,
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post

WHS

It amazes me how many contractors at interview and before starting never talk about.

1. Time off for holidays
                  2. Parking arrangements
                  3. Bringing own equipment
                  4. Early starts early finishes for travelling
                  5. Weekend work
                  6. Dress code

Etc.

Comment

Had to walk half a mile
                    Ahh, it's one of those places where they come up with petty rules for contractors just to keep them in their place. Really irritating but you have to just sit back and think of the money.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X