• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Longest Contract to date and losing the will to live

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longest Contract to date and losing the will to live

14 months at the same place now and everything is starting to irritate me. "Line Manager" has started treating me like a Permie even though I am due to leave in 3 months, Finding it difficult to motivate myself and get up in the morning. I can't see myself accepting a renewal under any circumstances so I am really looking forward to completing my contract (Please take note NLUK), after which I would be happy to relax until the next good contract comes through......

Will apply in November to see if there is anything decent around.

How long is too long when it comes to being at one place? My experience to date puts it at aprox 12 months before things start going really stale.

2 3/4 years at Lloyds/TSB I swore never again
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      2 3/4 years at Lloyds/TSB I swore never again
      I regret turning down a good offer in May....... It was only 3 months but I liked the guys and I liked the place.

Oh well I hope something else as good comes around this time.

Comment

There's only crap in November. Go now

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
          14 months at the same place now and everything is starting to irritate me. "Line Manager" has started treating me like a Permie even though I am due to leave in 3 months, Finding it difficult to motivate myself and get up in the morning. I can't see myself accepting a renewal under any circumstances so I am really looking forward to completing my contract (Please take note NLUK), after which I would be happy to relax until the next good contract comes through......
          3 months is quite awhile yet. Still time for you to bail, particularly now you are a bit jaded with it

How long is too long when it comes to being at one place? My experience to date puts it at aprox 12 months before things start going really stale.
          How many places have you done 12 months+ so far?

Have done a 12 monther I was sad to leave but have done a lot longer and lost the will to live myself but the rate was good and market was crap so got down to it and just invoiced. It was only one gig in hopefully a long career but never one to throw an invoicing chance away so stuck it through.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

16 years at previous contract.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              3 months is quite awhile yet. Still time for you to bail, particularly now you are a bit jaded with it

How many places have you done 12 months+ so far?

Have done a 12 monther I was sad to leave but have done a lot longer and lost the will to live myself but the rate was good and market was crap so got down to it and just invoiced. It was only one gig in hopefully a long career but never one to throw an invoicing chance away so stuck it through.
              1) Gonna see this one through just to prove your wrong (and err perhaps there may be no notice period in my contract..... )

2) Never lasted 12 months before if I am fully honest. First gig was 3 months that turned into 9 months. in 2010 - 2011 I lasted 10 months (but would have done more if it were not for the rate cuts)....

Saying that I have found I start to lose motivation about 6-8 months into any gig...

Comment

Originally posted by BigTime View Post
                There's only crap in November. Go now
                Totally agree. Not a good time to start looking.
                Blood in your poo

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Surprise View Post
                  Totally agree. Not a good time to start looking.
                  Early November is ok. From November 15/20th its dead until mid January.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by rhubarb View Post
                    16 years at previous disguised employment.
                    FTFY
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X