• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flexible Hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flexible Hours

At interview stage, client said they were ok with me starting late monday and finishing early Friday.

Now I've started, it turns out that they're not that flexible at all. 4 pm is the earliest they'll permit. In my contract schedule (that I still haven't signed) it says that hours are to be agreed with the client. Well, I dont. agree. I think they are being somewhat unreasonable seeing as I have to go more or less tha whole length of the M27 to get home

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    At interview stage, client said they were ok with me starting late monday and finishing early Friday.

Now I've started, it turns out that they're not that flexible at all. 4 pm is the earliest they'll permit. In my contract schedule (that I still haven't signed) it says that hours are to be agreed with the client. Well, I dont. agree. I think they are being somewhat unreasonable seeing as I have to go more or less tha whole length of the M27 to get home
    Ahh diddums. Either accept the pain or start looking and walk asap.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Every gig I have worked on in the last 4 years has been 'flexible' but employed core hours from 10 to 4. Worked very well. I think you have mixed flexible with make your own times up.

Get your head down, do a months solid work then go cap in hand and ask the client manager on an individual case basis. It is highly unlikely he will challenge if it you have proven yourself capable and reliable.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

M27 is only about 30 miles from end to end FFS.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Every gig I have worked on in the last 4 years has been 'flexible' but employed core hours from 10 to 4. Worked very well.

last clientco had core hours 10-3. But then again that wasn't a normal company and those hours only applied to a couple of particular departments. Other departments had zero leeway.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Are you PC in disguise?
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Project Monkey View Post
              M27 is only about 30 miles from end to end FFS.
              A 25 mile journey - whatever next?!?!
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Now I've started, it turns out that they're not that flexible at all.
                So, there is a difference in your expectations - they said they were OK, but you don't think they are flexible.

4 pm is the earliest they'll permit. In my contract schedule (that I still haven't signed)
                Signature is irrelevant - you've accepted it because you started the contract work.

it says that hours are to be agreed with the client. Well, I dont. agree.
                So highlight that you can't agree, and terminate the contract. Make sure that you are in a position of strength (clearly understand whether this is a breach of warranty or a breach of conditions) before terminating the contract.

I think they are being somewhat unreasonable seeing as I have to go more or less tha whole length of the M27 to get home
                It's 25 miles end to end. That's not unreasonable.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

It's 25 miles end to end. That's not unreasonable.

I'm going to Yeovil. Took me 3 hours to do, what, 70 odd miles this morning. M27 was rammed & the schools aren't back yet. Not unreasonable - they gave me the impression (as did the agent) that they were fully flexible on Monday start time and Friday end time. My fault, I should have got more detail in the interview.

Comment

I'm going to Yeovil. Took me 3 hours to do, what, 70 odd miles this morning. M27 was rammed & the schools aren't back yet. Not unreasonable - they gave me the impression (as did the agent) that they were fully flexible on Monday start time and Friday end time. My fault, I should have got more detail in the interview.
                    That's in no way, shape, or form their issue. [IMO]

As you say, unless you agreed very specific terms at interview, I can't sympathise much either. I agree with whoever it was that said you now probably need to prove your worth before broaching this with them again - or leave.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X