• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Premier Inn vol. CXCII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Premier Inn vol. CXCII

Bit late today; good to see Zeity muddying the waters by resurrecting some older posts
    • 'Like Being in Prison with a Salary': The Secret World of the Shipping Industry - The first chapter of a new book by Rose George, Ninety Percent of Everything, which looks like an interesting complement to The Box: "...who looks behind a television now and sees the ship that brought it? Who cares about the men who steered your breakfast cereal through winter storms? How ironic that the more ships have grown in size and consequence, the less space they take up in our imagination."

• Tech pioneer Vint Cerf on the age of context and why you can’t be a citizen of the Internet - "Few people have as much claim as Vint Cerf to the title “Father of the Internet,”... we caught up with him on the phone to discuss PRISM, contextual tech and the future of the Internet."

• Why are so many people selling positive pregnancy tests on Craigslist? - "Troubling new trend alert: In the last few months, there’s been a preponderance of Craigslist ads selling positive pregnancy tests." No questions asked

• Pepys Diary erasure project - Dave Bonta is creating poetry by taking entries from Pepys' Diary and crossing out all but the bits that make a poem:

"I met with a hit,
      I met with a hope,
      I met with a lawyer in heaven.
      I saw my Lord coming on foot,
      a child at the tavern."

• That Squid On Your Plate Could Inseminate Your Mouth - "I'm here today to talk about a very strange paper: Penetration of the oral mucosa by parasite-like sperm bags of squid: a case report in a Korean woman."

• The Stasi puzzle with 600 million pieces - "After the fall of the Berlin Wall, officials in the former East Germany did everything they could to destroy documents. But modern technology could now help piece together the puzzle." A new pattern-recognition system will help re-assemble the files hastily torn up as the Berlin Wall was coming down.

• Collaborating with a 4-year Old - Artist @busymockingbird found herself unable to refuse her daughter's requests to help with her drawings: she draws the heads, her daughter adds the bodies

• Dread Pirate Blackbeard's Wreck Is Coming Up - "The Queen Anne's Revenge ran aground in Beaufort in June 1718, on the western side of the channel. Morris said the ship was most likely intentionally grounded; historical documentation indicates Blackbeard wanted to downsize his flotilla of four ships -- and the crew that sailed on them." The problems that come with accepting a perm role, even as a pirate

• The Unauthorized Rules Of How To Dress At Goldman Sachs - @GSElevator offers useful advice for turning yourself out properly at the vampire squid: "#1: Did you forget your belt today?" "#2: I don't need one; did you forget to get your suit tailored?"

• WTF Visualizations - "Visualizations that make no sense." This "workflow" diagram from Jira has always baffled me:

Happy invoicing!

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Why are so many people selling positive pregnancy tests on Craigslist? - "Troubling new trend alert: In the last few months, there’s been a preponderance of Craigslist ads selling positive pregnancy tests." No questions asked
    Scary stuff.....

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I try my best.

Does tend to confuse some of the inmates though.

Comment

Working...
      X