• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Send em all home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Send em all home?

Mass immigration has made Britain a less competitive economy - Telegraph
    Don't be a silly boy
    11.11%
    Only the French
    44.44%
    Send AndyW home
    44.44%

Evidence; absent
    Sources; absent

1/10 for effort.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Too simplistic.
      Uncontrolled "immigration" from the EU, unskilled/low-skilled migrants from war-torn areas not that good.
      Highly skilled, wealthy and students good.

The evidence shows there is a small net economic benefit.
      Torygraph contradicting itself

On an anecdotal note, when I was hiring in the City I found only one local who had the requisite quals and experience - otherwise my team consisted of French, German, one Indian.
      I would guess if a draconian law came in saying only British nationals had to be employed, most City firms would have to decamp to a more open environment.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Too simplistic.
        Uncontrolled "immigration" from the EU, unskilled/low-skilled migrants from war-torn areas not that good.

On an anecdotal note, when I was hiring in the City I found only one local who had the requisite quals and experience - otherwise my team consisted of French, German, one Indian.
        I would guess if a draconian law came in saying only British nationals had to be employed, most City firms would have to decamp to a more open environment.

Comment

Too simplistic.

Same in high-tech industry here in NL. Advertise for an HR manager, a marketing person or other commercial bla-bla-ologist and you get 400 responses. Advertise for industrial engineers, industrial programmers or testers and you get none at all. Clientco have set up offices in Italy and Greece with no other purpose than to hire new graduates from the universities there. In my team there is one Dutchman, one Brit (moi), one Indian, a German and now a young Argentinian graduate who was hired through the Italian office. I'm the only one without an engineering qualification.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Same in high-tech industry here in NL. Advertise for an HR manager, a marketing person or other commercial bla-bla-ologist and you get 400 responses. Advertise for industrial engineers, industrial programmers or testers and you get none at all. Clientco have set up offices in Italy and Greece with no other purpose than to hire new graduates from the universities there. In my team there is one Dutchman, one Brit (moi), one Indian, a German and now a young Argentinian graduate who was hired through the Italian office. I'm the only one without an engineering qualification.
            How hard (and have they tried) would it be for the company to offer scholarships for locals to study & graduate?
            How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              No need to sign off your posts. We know what you are already.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                How hard (and have they tried) would it be for the company to offer scholarships for locals to study & graduate?
                They're doing that and have done for years. Anyway, they're not a charity for the benefit of yokels that say 'gissa job'; they're a business aiming to make a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                  Why should they?
                  A company's role in a market economy is making profits for its shareholders, not shaping a decadent society.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Why should they?
                    A company's role in a market economy is making profits for its shareholders, not shaping a decadent society.
                    Why do companies already provide apprenticeships, fund post graduate studies or offer scholarships in the UK (Kingsbury Engineering scholarship is for 19k )- they wouldn't be doing this out of a sense of altruism but rather they see a long term benefit to the company.
                    Your lack of comprehension around this is telling
                    Last edited by Troll; 3 September 2013, 08:36.
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Working...
                    X