• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Twerking my way to Rotarianism

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Twerking my way to Rotarianism

A Eureka moment in my quest to become a Rotarian sparked a series of events that saw Malc and I "twerking" in black sludge last weekend.

The expedition that serves as a precursor to Rotarian membership had always eluded me as I could never propose an activity with the requisite degree of originality.

Until 3 weeks ago when I overheard a heated argument between two elderly gentlemen. Their bone of contention was the town of Clevedon vis a vis the body of water on which said town is situated. One insisted it was on the Bristol Channel while the other was adamant it was located on the Severn Estuary.

The conversation not having reached a satisfactory conclusion, I rushed home and consulted Wikipedia where Clevedon is defined thus: A resort on the Severn Estuary.

And then the penny dropped; if one were to consider all points west from Clevedon to Weston, there must be a precise line of demarcation between the Severn Estuary and the Bristol Channel since Weston is undoubtedly a Bristol Channel resort. Furthermore, the traversal of said boundary could be celebrated in the same manner as sailors crossing the equator and the moment immortalised in a photograph to adorn the clubhouse wall alongside those of other members in the crowning moments of their expeditions.

And so, this is the reason why Malc and I found ourselves on a desolate mudflat last weekend where, under the instructions of Lt. Col. Ashton Wickett, we removed our trousers and underpants, plastered ourselves in mud and gyrated while he snapped away furiously with his trusty old Leica.

Oddly enough, the picture hasn't made it to the clubhouse wall yet.

3/10 Could do better.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Like the use of the fashionable word twerking, but not your best effort.

2/10

Comment

Lucky you didn't get sucked under by the quicksand

Comment

I like Weston. Spent the bank holiday weekend there.

Pier is great fun.

Note to self: I must dish out some positive to the poster who recommended The Old Thatched Cottage.

Comment

Hi Gricer!
            I take it you used the old definition of the border between Sand Point north of Weston, and Lavernock Point on the Welsh side near Sully. Some now put it further up but I'm happy with the wider version.

As a matter of interest I once played cricket against Sully at their ground, which is next to the sea and was very picturesque. I scrounged a lift there with a chap in his old Capri who drove the whole way down the M4 from London at 100 mph, which gave me the willies crammed in the back seat I can tell you! We did the same all the way back, which was worse because it was dark.

Anyway, it never occurred to me at the time, but as I gazed out at Sully Island, Flat Holm beyond, and thence to Somerset during cricket's many periods of slow or non-existent activity, I suppose I was looking along the very border.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              3/10 Could do better.
              Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              Like the use of the fashionable word twerking, but not your best effort.

2/10
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                As a matter of interest I once played cricket against Sully at their ground, which is next to the sea and was very picturesque.

Anyway, it never occurred to me at the time, but as I gazed out at Sully Island, Flat Holm beyond, and thence to Somerset during cricket's many periods of slow or non-existent activity, I suppose I was looking along the very border.
                I have that very view out of my home office window right now. In fact, I will be taking my dog for a dump on that cricket pitch in about 30 mins.

Comment

I am going to paint something and watch it dry.
                  While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                    I have that very view out of my home office window right now. In fact, I will be taking my dog for a dump on that cricket pitch in about 30 mins.
                    Could you ask him to do it on a length just outside off? In case I get to bowl there again.

Comment

Working...
                    X