• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Day 3: Thoughts on Big Companies vs Small Companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Day 3: Thoughts on Big Companies vs Small Companies

I usually find the most interesting and challenging projects are the ones I carry out for small companies. Generally, I'm given my brief and I get on with it and am generalky responsible for all aspects of the project.

Contrast this with a large corporate client where you are often a small cog in a big machine and you have to know your place. The work (if you're lucky enough to have any) is often dull and routine while being mired in bureaucracy.

But here's the clincher. Big corporate clients pay much better rates for you to do f all while smaller clients expect the earth for a much lower rate.

I know this is a generalisation but as I sit here on day 3 of this new contract still without a login I find myself wondering if I've made the right decision in accepting this role.

Another thing about working for a small company. The project is usually well defined with a start, middle and end and after, say, 3 months you get out, have a holiday and find a new role. In large companies, things are less well defined, you become a small cog in a big machine and things tend to roll on and on making you feel like the proverbial mouse on a wheel. Or a permie-tractor.thymi benusd

Originally posted by zoco View Post
    I usually find the most interesting and challenging projects are the ones I carry out for small companies. Generally, I'm given my brief and I get on with it and am generalky responsible for all aspects of the project.

Contrast this with a large corporate client where you are often a small cog in a big machine and you have to know your place. The work (if you're lucky enough to have any) is often dull and routine while being mired in bureaucracy.

But here's the clincher. Big corporate clients pay much better rates for you to do f all while smaller clients expect the earth for a much lower rate.

I know this is a generalisation but as I sit here on day 3 of this new contract still without a login I find myself wondering if I've made the right decision in accepting this role.

Another thing about working for a small company. The project is usually well defined with a start, middle and end and after, say, 3 months you get out, have a holiday and find a new role. In large companies, things are less well defined, you become a small cog in a big machine and things tend to roll on and on making you feel like the proverbial mouse on a wheel. Or a permie-tractor.thymi benusd
    I've worked for large blue chip companies where there was no login / desk available for weeks! it's indicative of how fooked up their processes are - always take your laptop to appear busy ( ask them to send docs to your web address if security allows so you can get up to speed) and carry on invoicing
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Agree with most of the sentiments expressed but IMO small companies usually don't have well defined projects I find.

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
        Agree with most of the sentiments expressed but IMO small companies usually don't have well defined projects I find.
        Yes, bad terminology. I meant defined in the sense of timescales. Gigs in small companies rarely roll on and on. You come in, get the job done and move on. I like that.

Comment

Working...
        X