• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Get your nooks out...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get your nooks out...

Barnes & Noble selling off last remaining Nook HD and Nook HD+ tablets for £79 and £129 - Pocket-lint
    Barnes & Noble knock Nook slate down to £79

Just impulse-bought the £79 one, seemed too good to miss as an opportunity to try out an Android tablet. I get the impression they're going fast, some models already out of stock when I got mine.

nook.co.uk
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

New Amazon Paperwhite is out today at £109 - all over the Amazon homepage.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

That's a completely different device. Paperwhite is an e-reader with a light - newest version of the classic Kindle - Nook HD is a generic tablet competing against Kindle Fire. It's pretty confusing since both Nook and Kindle do e-readers and tablets under the same brand.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        That's a completely different device. Paperwhite is an e-reader with a light - newest version of the classic Kindle - Nook HD is a generic tablet competing against Kindle Fire. It's pretty confusing since both Nook and Kindle do e-readers and tablets under the same brand.
        I didn't realise that B&N did a tablet (knew Amazon did).

£79 on order for my younger daughter, since she has decided that's what she wants to spend her savings on and has got enough. She was asking how much a laptop cost this morning, and was surprised at the price.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I didn't realise that B&N did a tablet (knew Amazon did).
          Actually neither did I until today. I think that's why they've stopped production and are selling off the stock - nobody is buying them or knows about them.

Comment

If you're considering putting a custom ROM on there, there are some good instructions here.

I'll see how locked down it is before I decide - if it was just for me, then I think I'd be inclined to splat the OS and put as close to a stock Android ROM on there as I could.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

I've never done anything like that, but knowing I can is definitely nice. I imagine it more than likely does everything I'd want anyway, you get the Google Play store, but being able to put newer Android on might be useful.

Comment

I've never done anything like that, but knowing I can is definitely nice. I imagine it more than likely does everything I'd want anyway, you get the Google Play store, but being able to put newer Android on might be useful.
                If you do anything with Amazon App Store, then you'll need to root it at the least.

I installed a custom ROM on an HTC Wildfire last year with very few problems, and did the same (and unlocked) a Galaxy S2 - find some decent instructions from a reliable source and it's pretty straight forward.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

nook.co.uk
                  Do they have an Irish site
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Like it. Ordered one for lad. He'll be over the moon.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X