• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Debt Collection - Luxembourg

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Debt Collection - Luxembourg

I have a Luxembourg based client who has yet to settle an invoice after 120 days.

Does anyone have any recommendations for debt collection agencies or a firm that can provide advice on how to go about forcing my client's hand?

I am now at the point where my next communication with the client needs to be backed by something of a legal nature.
    Last edited by OrangeHopper; 5 September 2013, 07:02.

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
    I have a Luxembourg based client who has yet to settle an invoice after 120 days.

Does anyone have any recommendations for debt collection agencies or a firm that can provide advice on how to go about forcing my client's hand?

I am now at the point where my next communication with the client needs to be backed by something of a legal nature.
    Even when chasing a client overseas, the basic premise is the same as it is for a UK client. Assuming you have been through the standard "dunning" procedures the next step would be to engage a DCA like us, or issue proceedings.

With regard to the DCA i'm sure a fellow CUK'er will recommend someone soon enough with regard to the issue of proceedings you may have two options depending on the contract.
    1. Issue proceedings in the UK and use a European Enforcement Order to enforce the debt in Luxembourg. This has the advantage in that the debtor has to defend the action in the UK and once judgment is lodged in Luxembourg it is very difficult to challenge. The disadvantage is that the process can be quite expensive, perhaps prohibitively so depending on the amount owed. A good link here (warning pdf and legalese)
    1. Issue proceedings in a local court using a local agent or lawyer. Generally the more cost effective and immediate option but can be expensive if a defence is filed. As with any legal action making sure you pick the right counsel is key.

Our MD has an article up on CUK here on how to recover a debt in Belgium and the basic info will apply in your situation as well.

Good luck!
    The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by Safe Collections View Post
      Even when chasing a client overseas, the basic premise is the same as it is for a UK client. Assuming you have been through the standard "dunning" procedures the next step would be to engage a DCA like us, or issue proceedings.
      What's this "dunning" process - I've never heard of it before (apart from on CUK)
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
        What's this "dunning" process - I've never heard of it before (apart from on CUK)
        The only debt collection & credit control company recommended by Contractor UK.

Read our articles on ContractorUK here and get in touch here.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          +1. No US terminology on CUK please.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            +1. No SAP terminology on CUK please.
            FTFY

Comment

Thanks Safe for the info.

I have done my bit of dunning and have now indicated to the client that the next communication, should the monies not appear pronto, will be from a solicitor.

Comment

European enforcement order Luxembourg

Does anybody can help me with the european enforcement order given by the polish court to collect debts in Luxemborug?

Can I act on my own behalf or is it necessary to have a proxy? Are there any official forms available? Do I have to act in front of court or special agency for collecting debts?

Please help me if you have any information.

Comment

If you google the second poster on this thread you will probably get the help you need.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X