• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Extension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension

Vaguely thinking about building one, cos can't be arsed with the expense and hassle of moving. Thinking half width on the back of the house - probably single storey, but don't want to discount other possibilities.

That would make a large L shaped lounge diner, then I could knock down the wall between current diddy kitchen and dining room to make a big kitchen breakfast room.

So where do I start?

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Vaguely thinking about building one, cos can't be arsed with the expense and hassle of moving. Thinking half width on the back of the house - probably single storey, but don't want to discount other possibilities.

That would make a large L shaped lounge diner, then I could knock down the wall between current diddy kitchen and dining room to make a big kitchen breakfast room.

So where do I start?

Oh, wait...

Comment

So where do I start?
      Choose the cushions and make sure everything else matches.

Comment

The lynch pin to extensions is finding the right architect - just trying to find a local builder won't cut it. When you find the right architect they will recommend builders with whom they've worked.

On the other hand if you see an extension being built and you like the look of them, ask the builder the name of the architect they're working with.

The design is as important as the build.

My brother has just had an extension (new kitchen) put in and he found the architect who is popular in the local area. He is very pleased with the results.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          The lynch pin to extensions is finding the right architect - just trying to find a local builder won't cut it. When you find the right architect they will recommend builders with whom they've worked.

On the other hand if you see an extension being built and you like the look of them, ask them the name of the architect they're working with.

The design is as important as the build.

My brother has just had an extension (new kitchen) put in and he found the architect who is popular in the local area. He is very pleased with the results.
          So you do that before contacting planning?

Comment

The architect deals with planning.

(Bro had the first application rejected, the architect mediated between him and the planning committee and both sides got pretty much what they wanted.)
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

So where do I start?
              Generally you'd start by getting a drawing made, knocking out a wall and digging a trench for the foundation. Might be good to ask a builder for advice though, instead of a bunch of IT geeks with two left hands.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You need your plans before planning will tell you anything more than maybe.

As cojak says finding the right architect is the first stating point. Mrs Eek (formerly a planner) used the decent one in her area to do ours. An architect may be popular because he is cheap....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Architect!?!

Back of fag packet and get Wayne and his trusty band of non-English speaking Poles in with hammers and pick axes.

Then in 18 months time I can wave at you on Cowboy Builders whilst over local girl Melinda.

HTH BIDI

Actual advice? Move.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                    Actual advice? Move.
                    There is a risk that the amount you pay won't be reflected in the value of your property when you come to sell.

My problem both before the extension and definitely afterwards is that anywhere else in town is harder to get to / from.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X