• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart Watches

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Watches

With Samsung announcing there watch in the last few days, and the likes of Sony already announced and Apple anticipated does anyone see a market for these devices? The Pebble didn't make much of a splash, nor have any of the Taiwan based even though some (like this) look amazing!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Smart shoes with inbuilt cameras would be more useful
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

The Hyetis one is £770 though.

I'm not really sure what they add to the phone. A second tiny screen? Another camera? Don't really see the point yet.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        With Samsung announcing there watch in the last few days, and the likes of Sony already announced and Apple anticipated does anyone see a market for these devices? The Pebble didn't make much of a splash, nor have any of the Taiwan based even though some (like this) look amazing!
        maybe as a fad but I doubt long term unless the SIM card is incorporated into it... Like this one
        Join IPSE

Comment

I have gone for the pocket-watch version

Comment

I'm in for one of these - AGENT - The World's Smartest Watch

Ships in December, and the community are busy developing apps and watch faces already.

Proper technology company + proper watch company
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              The AndroidPit review of the Gear is pretty damning - linky

Pebble was a good idea in theory, but failed to deliver as a result of being a victim of their own success. Customer service couldn't keep up with the issues, and there were too many people chasing for information about a product that they couldn't deliver in time because of the scale of the success. Throw in the fact that you can't get them into Germany (for example) because they are missing the right documentation (Pebble's recommendation is to ship it somewhere in the EU which isn't as picky, and then have it forwarded on to Germany), add some more poor customer service, and you'll see why it didn't make a splash.

Not sure I want to be able to make calls from a watch (I'm not Michael Knight), but having the ability to glance at it to see who is ringing or texting when in a meeting would be pretty handy.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Mines well smart, glows in the dark, pretty damn impressive, and it shows me the time when I look at it...and it has a comfortable leather strap
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I think it is the way forward and will be the norm very soon. When they can get it down to a reasonable size that still looks like a watch there will be no reason not to get one.

There was a good article in one of the papers on these and the guy said he used to have a watch to look at the time, now with phones been with us all the time he looks at his phone and doesn't bother with a watch (same for me). With this turn around he will get a smart watch and not get his phone out as much, if he even brings it in some situations (which I will probably go for as long as they make them look better/smaller)

He says it is the future and will be a standard but this one isn't it.

I think it will sit along side classic watches coming down to personal tastes of stylish watches rather than a screen. Saying that if one of the big stylish designers can integrate a smart watch in to a good looking classic style I think they will have a winner. I think they may poo poo smart watches but they are going to have to keep up.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 5 September 2013, 17:07.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Not sure why I would need to look at my wrist to find out that its sunny/pissing down with rain or just flipping cold.
                    If I want any of that info I can stand on my nearest door step and look up...

It's just one more distraction getting in the way of real interaction.

Comment

Working...
                    X