• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon AutoRip is crazy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon AutoRip is crazy

An album I wanted was £6 for MP3, or £4.50 on CD. The CD copy comes with a free MP3/online version thanks to autorip. On top of that, because Amazon are promoting electronic music, if you buy a CD you get £1 credit off your next MP3 purchase.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    An album I wanted was £6 for MP3, or £4.50 on CD. The CD copy comes with a free MP3/online version thanks to autorip. On top of that, because Amazon are promoting electronic music, if you buy a CD you get £1 credit off your next MP3 purchase.
    It's the same with most kindle versions of books, someone has told me why they are more expensive than the printed ones but for the life of me I still struggle with the concept!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      It's the same with most kindle versions of books, someone has told me why they are more expensive than the printed ones but for the life of me I still struggle with the concept!
      kindle books are electronic media and therefore subject to VAT......
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Yep.

If you search the top freebies every so often you can get a bargain though. Publishers sell them at free or next to nothing, which then means that they can publish the paperback with the line "Number 1 Best Seller" at a higher price. Most of my Kindle books have been dirt cheap or free, but when I've looked for the same book again a few weeks later, the price has jumped.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

True but they don't incur the production & distribution costs normal books do.

I suspect the profit on eBooks is considerably higher than paper.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

eBooks also had the publisher setting pricing, unlike paper books where Amazon buy them and sell them for whatever they choose. I'm not sure if this has now been changed in the wake of the huge price-fixing row.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I read somewhere the production costs are actually pretty minimal on a big run. But market forces are of course a factor - what will people pay.

Comment

Not really I can point to a whole set of blog posts to prove the point if you insist.

Fixed production costs are the same whether it's electronic or paper. The only differences are:

Printing costs ( which are surprisingly little)
                Distribution costs which are different.

But I don't think the profits are that different because amazon still pockets the majority of those
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not really I can point to a whole set of blog posts to prove the point if you insist.

Fixed production costs are the same whether it's electronic or paper. The only differences are:

Printing costs ( which are surprisingly little)
                  Distribution costs which are different.

But I don't think the profits are that different because amazon still pockets the majority of those
                  If you could, I find it interesting.

I was sort of assuming that book costs were about 50p, distribution 50-£1. Author ~ £1 publisher £1.50 (including advertising) retailer ~ £2.50. with that eBooks are £1-£1.50 cheaper.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you could, I find it interesting.

I was sort of assuming that book costs were about 50p, distribution 50-£1. Author ~ £1 publisher £1.50 (including advertising) retailer ~ £2.50. with that eBooks are £1-£1.50 cheaper.
                    Well firstly if I understood you that only adds up to £6 and paperbacks seem to often be £7-8 these days (which is shocking).

But since we already mentioned e-books attract VAT and paper books don't, doesn't this pretty much perfectly make up for the £1-1.50 saving you calculated?

Comment

Working...
                    X