• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Go CMD!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go CMD!

"Let me be clear - Britain may be a small island but I would challenge anyone to find a country with a prouder history, a bigger heart or greater resilience," he told reporters.

"Britain is an island that has helped to clear the European continent of fascism and was resolute in doing that throughout the Second World War.

"Britain is an island that helped to abolish slavery, that has invented most of the things worth inventing, including every sport currently played around the world, that still today is responsible for art, literature and music that delights the entire world.

"We are very proud of everything we do as a small island - a small island that has the sixth-largest economy, the fourth best-funded military, some of the most effective diplomats, the proudest history, one of the best records for art and literature and contribution to philosophy and world civilisation."

He added: "For the people who live in Northern Ireland, I should say we are not just an island, we are a collection of islands. I don't want anyone in Shetland or Orkney to feel left out by this."
    Meanwhile....

Originally posted by the beeb
    a Conservative MP has waded into the row by saying on Twitter that President Putin "really is a tosser".
    BBC News - Cameron defends Britain in Russia 'small island' row

I see the daily mash haven't caught up yet.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    Meanwhile....

BBC News - Cameron defends Britain in Russia 'small island' row

I see the daily mash haven't caught up yet.
    Cue te Royal Marines Bands playing 'Nimrod', the Red Arrows painting the sky red white and blue and HM the Queen parachuting into Red Square just to show how 'ard she really is.

Don't know if CMD needed to say all that. A simple 'really?' with a raised eyebrow in the style of Roger Moore would have sufficed.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Cue te Royal Marines Bands playing 'Nimrod', the Red Arrows painting the sky red white and blue and HM the Queen parachuting into Red Square just to show how 'ard she really is.

Don't know if CMD needed to say all that. A simple 'really?' with a raised eyebrow in the style of Roger Moore would have sufficed.
      +1
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        A 10000 Oligarchs can't be wrong?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It wouldn't have been remiss of him to point out that the first thing a Russian does when he makes a billion is move to London would it?
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Just had a glance through the Twitter feed of the MP that called Putin a tosser.

An earlier tweet from him:

Originally posted by HenrysmithMP
            "I wonder if Pres Obama has considered launching missile strikes against the Assad regime whilst actually in Russia for the G20 meeting?

Comment

Britain didn't really invent athletics though did it? Although arguably it made the sport more respectable by getting athletes to wear some clothes and doing away with the all-male olive oil rituals.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Ah but the Modern Olympics was a British invention Cotswold Games. It did not contain athletics as we now know it .

Comment

No doubt the press will pick on the sports comment sooner or later as a reason to disparage the speech.

Thinking of a few examples, and checking on Wikipedia:
                  Basketball
                  Hurling
                  Lacrosse (which I assumed had been copied from hurling, but apparently not)
                  Polo
                  Hockey
                  WWF

Comment

Thing is they tend to be played by a subset of the 'world'.

Comment

Working...
                    X