• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

And for those that like a tipple

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And for those that like a tipple

Here's Why You Should Get Drunk at Work

Yglesias quotes a research paper from the University of Illinois at Chicago. Entitled "Uncorking the Muse," the paper showed that subjects with a blood alcohol content of approximately .075 performed better on the Remote Associates Test, which measures creative problem solving.
    "Intoxicated individuals solved more RAT items, in less time, and were more likely to perceive their solutions as the result of a sudden insight," the authors wrote.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

a blood alcohol content of approximately .075 performed better on the Remote Associates Test, which measures creative problem solving
    Don't know about problems but trying it as an aid to creativity, writing a story, at this moment. I think it is definitely aiding my creativity but then enough alcohol always makes us think we are more sociable, more attractive etc. The reality is I shall probably read the story tomorrow and it will be a description of a dead hedgehog decomposing in a dustbin.

PS Sure I've said it before but how often does the solution to a problem you've tried to solve for hours pop into your head once you give up and relax? We need an invoicing device that detects solutions in our brains, basing work on hours spent at work is too old fashioned.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 7 September 2013, 17:49.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Comment

Often when I'm stuck I'll go out in the evening and get very drunk. Usually the next day I'll have a very productive couple of hours. This has led to me believing I do my best work with a hangover, which may even be true.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
        X