• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wanted: Train ticket tips.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanted: Train ticket tips.

I'll shortly be starting a 6 month gig in London town, experiencing the marvel of the daily commute.

Started looking into the cost of travel as I'm guessing a season ticket would work out cheaper. Looks like I'll need to get a photocard sorted first, but I take it you can get an all-in-one season ticket for the train & underground (travelling in from basingstoke -> waterloo).

Any other useful tips for train tickets? Is there a "rail miles" scheme - something like "travel twice round the world & get a free caramac"?

If you are driving to the train stn and parking up, you might want to get a parking season ticket.

It's cheaper and more fun than:

1. Finding the ticket machine out of order, parking up and coming back to find you car ticketed.
    2. Carrying 3 tonnes of change around every day
    3. Finding that even after swiping your credit card on the ticket machine for the 37th time, it's not going to accept it.

Comment

Originally posted by Badgers Armpit
      Any other useful tips for train tickets? Is there a "rail miles" scheme - something like "travel twice round the world & get a free caramac"?
      No.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        If you are driving to the train stn and parking up, you might want to get a parking season ticket.

It's cheaper and more fun than:

1. Finding the ticket machine out of order, parking up and coming back to find you car ticketed.
        2. Carrying 3 tonnes of change around every day
        3. Finding that even after swiping your credit card on the ticket machine for the 37th time, it's not going to accept it.

But at least you're earning loads of money !

Comment

It's worth getting a 1st class season ticket. The monthly equates to roughly the same price as a standard daily ticket and it eases the stresss of commuting. I always got a seat when I was commuting from Reading...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

I am sorry the hear that you live in Basingstoke (known as Gasknobsite) I would recommend a monthly first class Travel card. This cover London transport and you do not get wet passengers standing up dripping over your laptop. You also get a mains supply for your laptop or phone. As it is tax deducible it works out quit economical. Don’t for get to keep records of what you spend on taxis, lunches, and evening meals when you work late.
              HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Lets hope you dont become one of the twats that have to shout down your mobile phone for everyone elses benefit to tell everyone how sooooooooooo important you are !

Comment

I'll actually be parking at a rural station & taking a short train ride to basingstoke. I have the choice of using the station car park (for which I would get a season parking ticket for - good idea!) or parking a minute's walk away for free!

Interesting one about the first class ticket - think I'll take a look at that.

Thanks.

Comment

Trains.
                    06:00 to 07:00
                    Suited gents who have their designated seats. Don’t even think of saying good morning to them.
                    07:00 to 08:00
                    Hoy ploy of commuter, everyone wants to get on the train no matter how tightly packed. Load of laptops open up but usually to play DVDs. Someone fat will always try and occupy half your seat and the man opposite will pick is nose and cough all over you.
                    08:00-to 09:00
                    It consultants and alike casually dressed not bother about what time they arrive at the office.

09;00 onwards, the time you think it’s good to travel except no matter where you sit a mum with unruly kids will site nearby.

Going home, always packed, kinds on holiday, newly arrived into the county with half their house packed into half a dozen enormous cases. The smell of fatty MacDonald’s burgers eaten by office workers using their mobile phones to say “I having my dinner on the train” The alcoholic that has fumes wafting from him and the statuary beggar collecting money for his alleged hostel, ticket home, dog etc.
                    HEALTH WARNING. IT Can Damage your Health. Free Advice. Advice in the forum is the £9,995 version. By reading the health warning you are agreeing to the terms and conditions. Advice maybe bad as well as good. 24 months interest free. Your home is at risk if you don’t keep up payments. Advice limited to availability.

Comment

Working...
                    X