• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

OOP, RDBMS and BTEC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OOP, RDBMS and BTEC

Quick poll. pj junior is contemplating a BTEC Level 3 course in software development as an alternate way into Uni to do Comp Sci, after achieved AS grades were less than predicted.

The BTEC is made up of 180 credits, most modules being 10 credits, you have to do 3 mandatory and its all a bit last minute, however we drew up a list of 15 modules that I/we think would provide a good foundation in the biz .... I included OOP and relational database design modules as 'must haves'.

He's had an interview at the nearest college and their course does not cover OOP ('Too hard', and 'covered in other modules' were the excuses). The next nearest offers OOP but no database design. Aaaargh!

What does the panel think? Can a course that neglects relational databases or OOP have any credibility as a serious preparation for a career as a designer/developer? I think not. Agree/Disagree? If you had to choose which to lose, which one would go?

Please - no qualification snobbery, BTECS have come a long way since we were newbies ...
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

You'd learn both at Uni on any sensible IT degree anyway, but with database design if you're lucky they will teach you the theory first and then when to ignore the theory

Whether or not the course is any good from a practical level is almost irrelevant, just look at whether the unis will accept it in lieu of a foundation year etc
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Quick poll. pj junior is contemplating a BTEC Level 3 course in software development as an alternate way into Uni to do Comp Sci, after achieved AS grades were less than predicted.

The BTEC is made up of 180 credits, most modules being 10 credits, you have to do 3 mandatory and its all a bit last minute, however we drew up a list of 15 modules that I/we think would provide a good foundation in the biz .... I included OOP and relational database design modules as 'must haves'.

He's had an interview at the nearest college and their course does not cover OOP ('Too hard', and 'covered in other modules' were the excuses). The next nearest offers OOP but no database design. Aaaargh!

What does the panel think? Can a course that neglects relational databases or OOP have any credibility as a serious preparation for a career as a designer/developer? I think not. Agree/Disagree? If you had to choose which to lose, which one would go?

Please - no qualification snobbery, BTECS have come a long way since we were newbies ...
      You should pick the one with the lowest carbon footprint
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

What does the panel think? Can a course that neglects relational databases or OOP have any credibility as a serious preparation for a career as a designer/developer?
        For a career as a software engineer / developer I'd say not.

Whether you would want to study either of those as preparation for a Comp Sci degree is another matter. What did he study before? Why not resit the AS levels?

If you had to choose which to lose, which one would go?
        What else is on there?
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Maths, English, Physics and Chemistry.

We're looking at all the options, however regarding resits, the quality of the teaching at the school is an issue (in Physics the grade dropped from an A at GCSE to an E at AS, all the students on that course failed the practical element). Then there's the Foundation Degree route or an Apprenticeship with the likes of Microsoft or IBM. Bit of a minefield.

Whether or not the course is any good from a practical level is almost irrelevant, just look at whether the unis will accept it in lieu of a foundation year etc
          Hmmmm. Not sure I agree with that, we're talking about 2 years of a young life. Shame to 'waste' the time pratting about with Photoshop and Powerpoint and password resets (Multimedia Programming, Communication and Employability Skills for IT, IT Systems Troubleshooting and Repair) when he is 99% certain he wants to go into development. Yes 95% of Unis claim to accept BTEC as a valid alternative to A Level and a full pass with Distinction is worth 360 UCAS points, in theory enough to get you into the likes of Loughborough and Aston, which is where we were aiming .....

What else is on there?
          A typical curriculum:

Computer Systems
          Computer Systems Architecture
          Systems Analysis and Design
          Controlling Systems using IT
          Digital Graphics
          Computer Networks
          Developing Computer Games
          Managing Networks
          IT Systems Troubleshooting and Repair
          Computer Animation
          Software Design and Development
          Multimedia Design
          Object Oriented Programming
          Human Computer Interaction
          Communication and Employability Skills for IT
          Website Production
          Information Systems
          Networked Systems Security
          Last edited by pjclarke; 9 September 2013, 15:29.

Comment

Forget that soon-to-be-bobbed SC/IT developer stuff.
            If he's even slightly academic do a Maths and Stats degree with the OU.
            Or get the RSS Diploma in Statistics (equivalent to a degree).
            The latter can be done part-time while doing a job if he's motivated enough.
            The world won't be able to get enough data analysts soon.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

What are the entry requirements like for Comp Sci at university these days?

I did OOP and database design as part of my degree, which was in management with computing. So, if they are covered in a course like that, I would expect that they are covered by any reasonable degree course.

If you have to pick one of the two, I'd go with database design (but then I would say that) - effective database design is important regardless of the tool used to access the data.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Maths, English, Physics and Chemistry.

We're looking at all the options, however regarding resists, the quality of the teaching at the school is an issue (in Physics the grade dropped from an A at GCSE to an E at AS, all the students on that course failed the practical element). Then there's the Foundation Degree route or an Apprenticeship with the likes of Microsoft or IBM. Bit of a minefield.
                I would go for a decent apprenticeship with a known firm.

Its a bit of money and things learnt on the job are always better than theoretical learning.

Plus after two / three years you have two/three years of paid experience not just a degree (which no one looks at after 5 years of experience).
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Forget that soon-to-be-bobbed SC/IT developer stuff.
                  If he's even slightly academic do a Maths and Stats degree with the OU.
                  Agree up to a point, we've talked about carrying on the Maths A2 level and including stats, I know how useful it is. However we'll see a Bob backlash before long. My stats is not brill however I can see that according to this very site 'Developer' is still the top contractor skill, twice as well paid, and in terms of the overall jobs, 6 percentage points above 'Analyst' and developers of some flavour or other occupy 4 of the top ten spots.... ;-)
                  Last edited by pjclarke; 9 September 2013, 15:53.

Comment

Agree up to a point, we've talked about carrying on the Maths A2 level and including stats, I know how useful it is. However we'll see a Bob backlash before long. My stats is not brill however I can see that according to this very site 'Developer' is still the top contractor skill, twice as well paid, and in terms of the overall jobs, 6 percentage points above 'Analyst' and developers of some flavour or other occupy 4 of the top ten spots.... ;-)
                    That's because "Analyst" on there doesn't mean statistician.
                    According to that "developers" earn only £35 ph.

Lets hope the young un has better analytical skills than his dad, eh?
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X